Lake Wylie Week of 2.25.08 - 3.2.08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Mar 3, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Lake temperatures have remained in the mid 50's most of the week. More inflow of water has stained the upper lake, but the lake level is now one foot below its target elevation for this time of the year. Almost all ramps are open and access to any part of the lake is easily accomplished from public ramps.

The "mega bite" has slowed somewhat on Lake Wylie this week. Last weeks catches of 25-35 fish per day have went down t0 10-15 per day. The overall size is lower also. Even with the reduction in total numbers the bite is still above average for late winter on Lake Wylie.

Warmer daytime temperatures and overnight lows in the 30 and 40's should warm the lake a few degrees over the week. Hopefully this will lead to another good weekend of fishing.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Dieter what's the water color looking like now?

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    It has gone from the "Lake Wylie Green", which is clear on that lake, to a brownish/stained color. Not muddy, just off from the green.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This fridays looking pretty good now. This morning the weather man said 45 for the low.:big_smile:

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    The rain worries me. Several forecasts call for rain, so I guess it depends what time it arrives.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks again Dieter. I was hoping for a good color.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Holy Cow I'm gonna have to come fish there one day, LOL. Our bite is slow already this week. Did good last week but we dont get to see as many fish as you guys. I'm pretty sure we don't suck at fishing, just slow bite, LOL.

Great reports as always, thanks and I hope yas do well this week : )

-Jim-

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...This fridays looking pretty good now..."

Have you looked lately? :eek:oooh:

Not too good.

Looks like rain much of the day Friday into the night with a low around 46.

Can you say misery? :sad2:

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I just looked and saw that they are still calling for rain Friday, Friday night and few showers Saturday morning. I dont mind the 46 degree low. Im going to call tomorrow afternoon and see if things are a go.

10. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC

I dont know about the upper end of the lake, But the lower end, (Nivens Creek) is looking pretty nasty after this rain.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I figured after the rains yesterday everything will be muddy.

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Lake Wylie has been raised about 7"-8" in the past week, and I would bet it will be at its target elevation by the weekend once the rain water from the past two days makes its way downstream.

IF so, this is the first time it has been at its target elevation since JULY 3rd OF LAST YEAR!

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Finally, after eight months, Lake Wylie is BACK AT ITS TARGET ELEVATION!!

Hopefully this will mean that Duke Energy will be moving water through the Catawba system more regularly and rapidly so that some relief can be brought to the folks down at Santee Cooper.