Lake Wylie Week of 2.17.08 - 2.23.08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Feb 25, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Water temps on the main body of Lake Wylie have been in the low to mid 50's all week, with the upper river in the upper 40's, and the South Fork in the low to mid 60's. There have been several days when they have not been releasing water from the Allen Steam Plant and the South Fork river has dropped around 5-8 degrees.

Even with all the rains the lake has remained "Lake Wylie clear", with little sign of silty inflow. The lake is at 95.7, which is 1.3 feet below the target elevation for this time of the year. So, the lake has come up another 3"-4" this week.

The catfish bite is EXCELLENT! Catches of 20-35 have taken place over the past week. These daily totals are comparable to trips in April and May. All fish have come from 20-25 feet of water adjacent to channel edges on the main lake. A slower presentation if the trick, so make sure to have a drift sock available since these winter days can be windy. Cut gizzard shad and threadfin prime are prime baits.

White perch are readily available and schooled up in the 16-22 feet of water adjacent to the main channel, especially near points. Trolling works best at .50-.80 mph. Once you pick them up on your sonar and start getting double and triple hook-ups simply drop a buoy and circle.

Stripers are feeding aggresively and easy to catch on live bait in 18-22 feet of water. The bad news is that there are only five of them in entire lake, so you have to look hard to find them!!!!! :wink:

Tight lines....

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Excellent report, Dieter - you could do this for a living! I've never been to Wylie, maybe I can make a run out there next month during spring break.

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Great report Dieter, it's much appreciated. Thanks

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Is the shallow bite still not doing nothing in the south fork? I reckon I'm going that way in the next tournement. I haven't been up there in months but my records show last year at this time that's where I caught all my fish.

I'm glad the fish are biting good but I don't want to drift all night long. It's to much work for me. Not to mention dodging boats with no lights on in the dark.

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    thanks for the report Dieter. Very well written.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Is the shallow bite still not doing nothing in the south fork?..."

Honestly, I have not fished shallow at all up the South Fork, except in some 8-12 foot water drifting and nothing was there.

Last year at this time there was a lot of water running into the South Fork from the rains we had and the temps were 5-7 degrees cooler and I would suspect the pH was a lot different. The tournament there last year was in late March and water temps were in the mid 70's, but I will be surprised if they are that high by the 7th.

That three week difference from the first weekend to the last weekend can make a HECK of a difference in water temps and the bite,e specially in March.

Something is different in Lake Wylie this February. We have caught nearly 100 catfish in Wylie this February, and all of last February we only caught around 30. To put it in perspective for the number of days I have fished, last year was around four fish per day and this year it is around ten.

Something is different.

The bad news is that I have no time on the water during overnight tournament hours, and honestly, I am not looking forward to ten hours on a 30 degree night sitting in a boat. 30 degress is fine during the day, but at night it is no fun.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the great report.

8. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Man don't even say 30 degrees. Let's hope for 45.

Last year I got so cold by 4 am I went back to the truck. I didn't take enough clothes. I wont make that mistake again.

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have to agree with hoping for at least a 45 degree night. The frecast now seems to be getting better for next week, and will hopefully stay that way into the weekend. Im like Wyliecat and have not fished the lake at night since the last tournament last summer. Its going to be interesting. I have fished early mornings anchored up and didnt get a nibble. Drifting might be the ticket...