Lake Wylie water use

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cliff n york, Aug 20, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i wonder just how much water use by cities vs the drought is pulling the lake down. maybe we should think about adding more lakes in this area ?

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...maybe we should think about adding more lakes in this area..."

Maybe we should think about conserving water. Seems a hell of alot cheaper to me! :wink:

The chance of building lakes in this area ended about 40 years ago. Plus, the water comes from rivers, and it does not matter how many lakes you have if the rivers are dry.

How many of you dump hundreds of gallons of water on your lawn each week and onto your car just so you can impress the neighbors? No one thinks about it or cares until the water supply is dwindling. :wink:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Huh! Anyone can look at my lawn or my truck/boat and tell I don't waste much water on them....:embarassed:

4. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i was thinking about adding a lake on the broad river, we can conserve all we want but sooner are later we will have to build more lakes. just look at the increase of people in this area in the last 10 years

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Dieter you're right about the lawns and cars. I think that would help if people wasn't so worried about their "Things" but more on the water shortage.

A lake on Broad River has been floated several times but never has panned out. Really as low as Broad River is right I can't see a lake being that much help. Like Dieter said a dry river will lead to a dry lake.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    My lawn is totally in the hands of God!!!! I will admit to keeping my boat clean and the truck washed but I dont do it at home I go to a car wash in SC HAHAHHAHAHAHA, just kidding.This might be a good place to note that Santee is down to 72.56 this AM.That is 3 1/2 ft below full and the last time that level was achieved was this time in 2002 just before the Oct rains started and the drought was broken.I keep monthly avg figures for each year going back to 2001.Hopefully one of these tropical storms will dump 6' of rain in an hour and fill things back up.AT this level the boat ramps are going to be tricky so watch what you are doing.SOme places extended their ramps during the drought but not many.The good news is you can now see whats under that nice smooth surface at full pool that bites chunks out of props and lower units.:crazy::eek:oooh:

7. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Can you eat that grass? Can you sell that grass? Will that clean vehicle get you anymore money? Why waste the water ? Kinda stupid huh? I'm with you Dieter