Lake Wylie Warning!!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jul 28, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    LAKE LEVEL IS LOW!

For all you folks that run Lake Wylie you will want to be careful out on the waters. The lake is nearly five feet below full pond and there are things sticking up that are usually underwater.

The boat ramps are becoming hazardous to to launch and load your boat. Last night we watched several folks back off the end of the ramps attempting to launch their boats at Allison Creek. For folks with a 4WD you can usually muscle your trailer back up, but for smaller trucks that may not be possible. Buster Boyd is also very low. The steeper ramps at places like South Point Access are probably the better ones to use.

You can check the lake levesl at the following link:
    http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/levels/all.asp

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks Dieter for the heads up. The other guard here said he was up Thursday and the water was low but he didn't really tell me how bad. Guess I'll skip Wylie for a while.

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The 5' number is right on the money because some places I fish that are ussually 4' deep were mud. Hard to see it in the dark to.

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    5.2 feet below full pond on 8.03.07.

Here is the message from Duke:
    Last Update: 7/30/2007 5:33:26 PM
    Due to persistent drought conditions, lake levels continue to decline. In an effort to conserve, Duke Energy has reduced its hydro generation and is limiting other water releases. Water conservation is always a good practice and a shared responsibility by everyone -- particularly during drought conditions. Without widespread, substantial rainfall in the near term, gradual decline of lake levels will continue.

5. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If it gets much lower I don't think big boats will be launchable.

6. WylieCat

State:
    NC

Two of the four boat ramps at Allison Creek are closed. You can see the end of the ramp on the other, and I would not launch my boat there, but perhaps a jet ski trailer might make it. One truck with a jet ski trailer was in the lot and no other vehicles were there.

All Copperhead Island boat ramps will be closed at dawn today.

Buster Boyd is low, but you can not see the end of the ramp yet. Smaller boats should launch ok, but be careful with larger boats and pontoons.

South Point access was still open.

Perhaps Billfish can update us on Nivens Creek access and Mudkip can let us know about Ebenezer Park.

Duke Power claims Lake Wylie is only -5.2 feet below full pond, but it was at -5.2 more than two weeks ago and the lake has dropped significantly since then.

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I stopped by Nievens this afternoon. Its low, but there were boats coming and going. The ramps are open, but I did see 2 trucks with bigger boats coming from the ramps, but they seemed dry(no water dripping at all). I watched 2 bass boats, and 2 about 18' bow riders put in or pull out without any big problems.

If you get out there, BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!