Lake Wylie update?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dumpysinclair, Dec 27, 2007.

1. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    BOC,

Does anyone have an update on Lake Wylie as far as bite, where to find bait, best times of day and ramps? As far as I know, Nivens Creek in Fort Mill is still the only ramp open. I'm just curious, as I haven't seen any posts lately. I'd like to maybe give it a try one day before going back to work if the wind will cooperate.

Hope you all had a good Christmas and look forward to a Happy New Year!

Scott

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Scott

The bite has not shut down but you have to pick your spots. A decent bet would be the Hot Hole near Belmont but that is a pretty long haul from Nivens. I have been out a couple times and the channel cat drift is slow right now especially in the lower half of the lake.

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I thought that the Southfork would produce last Saturday and didnt get a bite up there. I was anchored on some holes that normlly produce, at least a small one. I then tried drifting for a little but had to fight the wind to get a good drift. I went back down the lake to where Wyliecat and I caught fish the week before and had a few bites, but I couldnt slow the boat enough cause of the wind and lack of drift sock. Look for the bait in the main channel of he creeks, around 20'-30'. When we had bait under us we seemed to catch fish just after the bait went by.

Im hoping to try it again Saturday morning if the weather cooperates.

Good luck,

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I've found on these upstate reservoirs that when the baitfish really stack up together in the main channels to bring it all the way to a hault(anchored).The thicker and bigger schools they make the easier they are for catfish to pick off.The easier they are to pick off the less chance that catfish are gonna chase a moving bait (drifting) down.Anchoring on the edge of the channel is pretty good at this time.

Get up on the shallower warm flats where the bait is scattered (aggressively feeding fish) and driftin still works fine, for the most part.

Just because that works for me dont mean it will for everybody, I'm just tryin to help.:wink:

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Its been a couple of weeks since I fished Wylie, and Billfish76 and I caught most of our fish in deeper water around 30-33 feet. We tried shallow and mid depth ranges with no luck. Like Mudkip said, you kinda have to pick your spots and if you find fish it would probably pay to fish over the area a couple of times.

The ol' LakeNormanBlues technique of starting deep and moving shallow, or vice versa, is probably not a bad idea.

If you are drifting I would slow it down to less than 0.40 and try a variety of baits to see what works.

6. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    drifting is still working for me but you have got to go sloooooooooow...i like to look at my gps and see 0.00 mph...i'm still moving but so slow that it won't register on my gps.

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Wyliecat and I fished Wylie this morning. We went into Little allison and rode around and didnt see any signs of bait. So off we went. At the next spot we caught some bait and started drifting in about 25'. We cught a few fish there, then moved to the other side of the creek with no luck. We then went into the main lake and found a drop off from 35' to 48' and caught 5 fish on the first pass. Turned around and caught 4 more.
    We then called it a day with a 16 fish total, 5 were over 6#s, and 1 was a small blue.

It was a good day to be on the lake.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Interesting day. Not too often on Lake Wylie that I get onto a pile of channel cats in 45-48 feet of water. The bait was there and so were the cats on the slop leading into the deep water.

Very important and interesting fact; the only way we could catch fish was to drift in the direction the wind was blowing. We tried a couple of passes over the same area at differentl angles, but in the end we the only way the cats would take the bait was when we were moving with the wind.

Like Mudkip said in an earlier post, you have to pick your spot. Billfish76 and myself had to try a couple of places before we hit the magic combination that the produced fish.

9. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the info all and I'm glad you guys had a pretty good day. I'm guessing you have a boat already on the water if you were at Allison, as the only ramp open that I know of is Nivens Creek?

If you continue to fish Wylie, please let us know how you do. I'll do the same, as I hope to go in the next few wknds if it doesn't get too cold (my dad can't handle it).

Happy New Year!

10. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    We use Nivens Creek Access to put the boat in. Its a nice ramp and with the low water there is a beach to put the boat while unloading, or loading if by yourself. There is plenty of ramp there to launch a boat.

Well try to keep you updated