Lake Wylie Tournament Results

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by WylieCat, Nov 11, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Carolina Catfish Club Fall Tournament Series​

Lake Wylie Results

11 November 2007

Anglers faced temperatures in the upper 20’s and a fog covered lake as they set out Sunday morning from Nivens Creek Access in York County. Sky’s were clear and the wind was light and variable. Water temps on the lower lake were in the upper 50’s to lower 60’s, and the South Fork River was around 72 degrees.

Seven www.catfish1.com members fished in the event.

Most anglers spent the day drifting and reported catching large numbers of channel catfish in the 4-6 pound range in various parts of the lake. The second place team of Marty and Jeff Green reported catching 32 fish in their eight hours on the water. Baits varied and included bream, white perch, blue back herring, and gizzard shad.

In the end it was a gamble on a long run up river in search of blue catfish that paid off for Mudkip and myself. The forty minute boat ride in the cold temperatures resulted in a 90 minute blue bite that disappeared with the morning fog. By 8:45am we had four blues that totaled over 60 pounds in the boat and spent the rest of the day looking for one more fish to fill out our limit of five fish.

The next event will be on Lake Norman December 9th at 7:00am out of Hager’s Creek Access.

Results
    1) Rodger Taylor (Mudkip) and Dieter Melhorn (Wyliecat)…70.0 pounds
    2) Marty and Jeff Green…26.0 pounds
    3) Cary Vanden Broecke (Billfish76) and Rob Low…25.4 pounds

Big Fish…Rodger Taylor and Dieter Melhorn…18 pounds

Points Race
    1) Rodger Taylor (mudkip) and Dieter Melhorn (Wyliecat)…22 points
    2) Rob McHenry (shrewboy) and Karl Emerson…14 points
    3) Cary Vanden Broecke (Billfish76) and Jason Low…12 points
    4) Marty (martygreen) and Jeff Green…8 points
    5) Walter Lively (Novice)…6 points

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Congrat's to mudkipp and wyliecat on your gamble, which probably was not too much of a gamble based on you'll success on Wylie. Also, congrat's to Marty and Jeff Green for your second place finish. I am glad everybody returned safely. Mac

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    had a great time,a great bunch of guys and was a good bite,just couldnt do nothing with the wylie experience of mudkip and wyliecat,they were on there game for sure,2nd was good for us considering the limited time we have spent on wylie catfishing,most of our catfishing is done at other lakes,so all in all wasnt a bad day,look foward to fishing more with you guys:wink:

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Marty, we enjoyed having you and Jeff fish with us, and we all look forward to seeing you at future meetings and events. It is too bad that you guys did not fish the Mt. Island event because you probably would be in the chase for the points win. Congrats on a fine finish!!!!

LakeNormanBlues, you know how that blue bite can be. On Wylie it is always a gamble since it is not a big blue lake. We got lucky and timed it out to get some fish before the bite shut down, otherwise the results may have been dramatically different. :wink:

Norman will be interesting. I am sure Karl and Shrewboy are sharpening their hooks already, and I will bet that Karl will be burning up the lake in the next month narrowing down that big blue bite. :crazy:

Will we see LakeNormanBlues make a surprise visit and fish the tournament on Norman to play the spoiler? :eek:oooh:

Will LakeNormanBlues pull some unsuspecting newbie into his boat and show them the road to victory? :eek:oooh:

I guess we will have to wait and see!! :wink:

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    The difference today was the blue cat as it usually is in a Wylie tournament. Everyone said they had a great time battling Wylie's numerous hard fighting channel cats. I am sure some teams will modify their strategy to try and hook up with the blues next time. I know everybody who fished today is capable of the same numbers we had. Wylie is an up and coming blue cat factory. Also thumbs up for the everybody's efforts to keep the fish in good shape. The fish left in a hurry when released. Looking forward to LKN. LKN has been known to dish out a big slice of humble pie. Hope to see some of you at the meeting this Wednesday.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrates to all that fished and esp. the winners. looks like wylie is starting to shine in the blues department. impressive weight for any lake in a daytime event. again congrates to wyliecat and mudkip.

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    It was a great day to be out on the lake. I should of taken the gambel this morning and anchored up in the river, but with the fog I didnt want to go that direction untill it lifted. (new GPS and no track lines up that way) I hope to make the meeting Wednsday, If not Ill see you guys at LKN...

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Looks like a pretty close tournament with the exclusion of the Wylie Smackdown Duo.Congrats to all who finished well.:big_smile:

Those Green boys are startin to come on strong, looks like they gone be tough to deal with this season.

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah-look out for the Green Machine they can catch catfish.

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    What is the Green Machine? I can't keep up with all the names. We have the name we are born with, our own BOC name, our name for the internet, our name for the other woman, our nick name, now we have Green Machine, Smackdown, Simpsonator,etc. Where will it end?:confused2:

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...What is the Green Machine..."

Dang it LakeNormanBlues!! I told you not to try to read post right when you wake up from your nap!! :smile2:

"GREEN MACHINE" = MARTY AND JEFF GREEN!!

12. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Sorry, Marty and Jeff, I had a mind fart. It is something that happens when you grow older. I used to have a fishing name and it was Mac Attack, but I forgot what it was a year or so ago and just now remembered what it was but, if you ask me Wednesday night what it was I probably will not remember.

PS, welcome to the Carolinas Catfish Club Marty and Jeff (aka Green Machine).

13. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I know for sure that the 70 pound five fish limit that mudkipp and WylieCat caught broke a record for the CCC, NCCATS and most likely J&J catfish tournament trail. I beleive the previous five fish limit was in the area of fifty plus pounds. Way to go guys.

With the flathead and Ark. blue population being developed on Wylie, I'm sure the record will continue to be broken as long as Dieter and Rodger continue to fish. But, as soon as the new blood figures what is going on, somebody or bodies better look out.

14. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    LNB's you are right on about the weights going up. I remember when a 30 pound string of channels had a good chance to win. I remember when if you had a single blue cat you were probably going to win and have big fish. I think now it will take 2 blue cats rounded off with nice channels to win and maybe even 3 blues. It is a chance you have to take fishing a tournament on Wylie--to go for big fish that is. Kevin Custer is a master at anchoring up for hogs, I learned a lot from him over the years. Of course, if the blue bite ain't happening you got to know when to pack up and go drifting for channels. I think as the blue population increases we will start to figure out the main river channel drift bite for blues and the blues on the southern end. Right now the creeks are still full to the gills of channel cats. I rarely catch a blue drifting and usually it 25 feet deep or more everything I catch shallow is a channel.

15. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    The results of the CCC Fall Series Tournament is the lead story by Tom Higgins in the Charlotte Observer/Sports today (11-15-07). It is something when a catfish tournament starts the fishing news first:0a36:. Mac

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    http://www.charlotte.com/outdoors/

Every club needs a good PR man!!! All you folks that run tournaments out there; GET YOUR INFO TO THE NEWSPAPERS!! Most are starved for outdoors news, especially local stories.

Slight error in the story though; it was a FIVE fish limit, not four as the article states.

Hey, like a wise man once said, "NEVER LET THE FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY!!!"

17. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I say kudos to Mac and Dieter for networking for the club. The interest is could generate will bring us more people to add to our already good group of cat men.

18. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., reread the article, there is no mention of a four fish limit. Only states that you'll won with four fish. Mac

19. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...states that you'll won with four fish..."

Well, thats just it, we had four blues and a channel for the 70 pounds. :smile2:

No biggie. I am just glad they mentioned the club!!