Lake Wylie- State Record White Perch

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mudkip, May 21, 2008.

1. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I think white perch have been in Lake Wylie for several years now. In January 2007 I caught a big one while fishing for perch(catfish bait). Having caught several in the 1.5 pound range I knew I was near to catching the state record when I hauled this fish weighing 2 pounds on my Chatillon scale. I took the fish to Nichols Store and it weighed 1 pound 15.2 ounces on Darren's certified scale.

The story was just beginning because the biologist was unsure about the fish and wanted to make sure it was a pure strain of white perch. He worked hard to help me get the record. Samples of pure white bass, striper and known white perch were caught and sent to Charleston, SC to the geneticist for tissue (DNA) typing/comparison. After about 16 months of waiting, the report is in and it is a pure strain white perch. I have submitted the certification papers to Columbia for recognition as the state record.

Even though my fish is heavier that the current state record it will be called a tie because it did not exceed the old record by 2 full ounces. The state record was caught by Chris Epting in Lake Murray 1986 and weighed 1 pound 13.5 ounces.

I would also like to say thanks to the folks at the Nichols Store in Rock Hill, SC who took time out of their work day to help document the weight of my fish.

Good luck to those seeking a bigger fish. I am sure it will be tied/broken again soon. Maybe another fish from Lake Wylie.:wink: WPStaterec.jpg

2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Congrats Roger! That will be hard to beat!

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats. Thats big in anybodys book.

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Way to go!! Must be great to have a record!!!

5. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Congrats Roger i'm glad the biologist finally gave u the record took them long enough.

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Congrat's Rodger.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm glad they finnally got it straight for you Rodger, congrads.

I think the 2 ounce thing is a bunch of crap though.I think the state record largemouth is the same way.If the fish is even the smallest fraction bigger than the current state record than it should be the state record.Especially with pan fish that are in such small size brackets.Although it would really suck to catch a state record blue and have to share positions because it was only an ounce bigger than the previous record.

Just think of what kind of mess that would cause in tournaments.Well the 2nd place guy is only an ounce and a half behind 1st place guy so they are gonna have to share the winnings.:smile2:

8. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I'm happy to hear you got your name in the record books. But I have to ask did still use that big ole white perch as cat bait. If so what did it catch. LOL

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I have the fish in my freezer. It has been all over the great state of South Carolina. I guess it would still work as cut bait in a pinch!:smile2:

10. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Congrats. Its about time they made a decission. So since yours is bigger whos name and fish goes in the recods books????

11. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Congrats Rodger. Thats a big perch:crazy:. I can see it now! State Record Blue caught on a State record Perch.:big_smile:

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    roger let me borrow it i know whear a big flathead lives he might want it congrateulations boy thats a big word but i mean it . your friend ron

13. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    congrats on the catch and record Rodger

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Congrats Rodger. Glad they finally got back to you.

15. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go Rodger - we're all happy for you :big_smile:

16. Mechwarrior5

Mechwarrior5 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Let me echo what everybody has said already: congratulations, Mr. Record Holder.

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Wooooo!!!! :smile2:

Another state record holder right here on the BOC!! :eek:oooh: