Lake Wylie Sept. reports

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by billfish76, Sep 2, 2007.

1. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Fished this morning in Little Allison. I ran to the back and threw my net once and had a net full of shad. Started drifting in the back of the creek. I fished for 2 and a half hours and caught 10 cats. Both shad and bream caught fish. The shad caught the smaller ones. Did get one that went just over 8lbs, but the rest were small. Fish were in 7 to 13 feet. I went deeper and not a thing.

2. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    Billfish, just wondering how big of a boat you were in? I don't know exactly where you're talking about but I know where the Allison Creek landing is (closed). A while back I put in there and went (left I think) toward a bridge and on the other side of the bridge, it was just a few feet all around there. I couldn't find much water and didn't feel too good about having my pontoon in there. I need to get a map of Wylie to learn my way around. Glad to hear you caught a few!

3. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm getting a late start b/c my freezer went out last night so I had to wait on the repairman. We'll have to put in at Ebenezer but if I can make it over that way I'll give you a shout. Don't catch 'em all!

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    dumpy,you were on big allison there,if you put in at allison creek landing,that is some real shallow water behind that bridge,there are a couple of deep holes here and there in that area,little allison is on down the lake a little,if you know where bowater park is or the sandbar that all the recreational boaters use,that is little allison,a map would be a good investment,i have one for just about every lake i have been on or fish on

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    9-3
    I took my neighbor and his 2 sons out this morning. We fished in Little Allison again with about the same results. We caught 12, 2 were just over 8lbs and we kept 3 that were around 2 lbs. The rest were between 4 and 6. They didnt seem to like shad today. Bream heads and chunks worked the best. We fished from 7 till 10:30am. The fish were in 6' to 10'. As the sun came up over the trees the bite slowed, so we started to move to the deeper water with no luck. So we called it a day.

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice report Billfish. I saw you as I passed by in my 14 footer. I went out to the main channel to graph some humps. Marked lots of fish 15-22 feet. Seemed to be a good many people on the lake, guess they are getting in the last hoorah before the ramps shut down. Traditionally Labor Day signals the coming of fall and usually a decrease in water ski enthusiasts. Times do change don't they. Looked at the weather. Calling for 90+ all week coming. I will fish tomorrow. Report coming. Guess I better go catch some little bream:wink:

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Took a friend fishing today on Wylie. Got a late start but the fish were cooperative. We were drifting and found fish as Billfish described in pretty shallow water. Caught most fish around 10 feet deep on the flats adjacent to the main river channel near Torrence Creek. I found the hump bite to be off a little. Caught only 3 fish there. Bream heads were hit the best followed by white perch fillet. Shad got bit too but not as well. My fishing buddy brought fish to the boat on two occasions and another catfish was right behind as the fish was ready to be landed. I guess they are real hungry and aggressive right now. The bite was very good on the flat and we caught 14 cats between 4 and 6 pounds plus several small white perch. We started at 8:30 and were off the water by 12:30. It was starting to get kind of stagnant out there but the bite was still good when we left them.

8. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks Bill and Marty,

I went out for a while on Monday but didn't get out until after 12. Only caught one cat on bream. That's what happens when you're waiting on people. I'll be investing in a map and you guys were right, it's real shallow up near Allison. Hopefully the next time I post I'll talk about all the fish I caught.

Thanks again to all!

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Fishing the main channel today. Did some true drifting. No trolling motor or drift sock. Fishing out of 14 footer with 2 rods, one off the bow and one off the stern. Surprisingly good drifts ranging from 0.6 to 1.1 mph by my gps. Wind steady out of the E to NE. Fish didn't bite good. Caught 3 fish in 2 and a half hours. Just having a nice morning of fun fishing. Plenty of bait in the back of Allison Creek. Got a mix of both threadfin and gizzard shad in one cast. Lots of perch bites. It was a nice morning on the water--temp very mild for a change.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I launched out of Nivens Creek Access around 9:00am. The water level at this set of ramps is fine, and almost any boat on the lake should have no problem here.

Overall the bite was average and I landed 13 fish. The fish that did bite slammed the baits. Water was in the mid 80's, skies clear, and there was a southwest wind at 10-15. I drifted with cut bream and white perch. Most fish came in 16-18 feet of water, with the average size around four pounds.

11. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    Has anyone been to Wylie the past week? If so, please post any details (water, bite, bait, etc.). I'm going to go tomorrow and maybe Friday w/my dad. I'm not sure how the fish are going to react to the cooler temps, but I hope it makes them hungry. If I have any luck I'll let y'all know. I'll be in a 20 ft. Sweetwater pontoon so give a yell if you come around.

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC

Scott I have not fished Wylie in about a week. The bite was average then. Bigger channels were biting finally. Launch your boat at Nivens Creek access. The pontoon will drop in fine there. Buster Boyd only has one ramp open, and Allison Creek and Copperhead are closed.

The cooler weather should be our friend! :wink:

13. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    I fished for a while on Tuesday and the weather was great. A little windy but the temp. was nice. We caught 8-10 cats, all in the 3-5 lb. range. We put in at Ebenezer (didn't know where Nivens was but I do now-thanks for the heads up). Someone has painted a red/orange line on the dock at Ebenezer to show you where the ramp drops off. I'm glad they did because if not I know I would have gone right off the end. Be careful when you're driving up to load b/c there are some shallow spots around the ramps.

We had a pretty good day, using bream and some night crawlers I had for the bream. My dad pulled up an old rod and reel when he pulled up the anchor. There's no telling what you'll find now, as we saw lots of stuff all around the banks w/the water being so low.

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Lake Wylie 9.22.07

Another below average morning on Wylie. Six fish total in six hours of fishing. White perch worked well, but a few came on bream. No pattern to depth or areas where fish could be found. Water temps were around 78, light winds, and the barometer was steady around 1020mb.

Mudkip did well yesterday afternoon, and we did well in the afternoon on Greenwood, so my money is on fishing in the afternoon if you have a choice.

Very few boaters out on the lake. The low water, closed ramps, and fall temps have taken their toll, so even a Saturday trip is not that bad on Wylie right now.

15. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I fished for a few hours this morning. I was on the water at 6:15 and fished the lower side of Wylie. I ran to the back of the creek and caught some Shad, Gizzard and Threadfin. Started drifting from the back and was putting out my second rod when I got the first one. The bite was good untill about the time the sun was over the trees. I think that I had caught 8 of the 11 that I caught by then. Shad seemed to be the best bait. Bream was the other. The last few fish that I caught were here and there with no real pattern. The morning bite ws in 7 to 10 feet, the others were in 10-18. I was off the water and home by 10:45.

16. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I fished on the lower SC side of the lake this morning. I started off in the back Little Allison creek to catch some bait. I caught 4 fish right away, all SMALL. So I started to move out to the creek channel and caught a few more. Moved to Crowders creek just up the lake and caught a few there that were geting better, 3-6 lbs. Then I went to the next creek down where Mudkip was finishing up a drift and caught 7 biggest was about 8. I fished from 7am and was on the trailer at 1. I ended up catching a total of 19 cats, a few perch. I was using Shad, perch and bream. All got about the same amount of bites.

17. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey Billfish. It was a good day for fishing Wylie. Good to see you out on the water. Had a couple friends down for a weekend of fishing. We had a great outing on Wateree yesterday and returned to fish the home lake on Sunday. Started the morning with a drift down Beaverdam toward the main channel. We got quickly hooked up with several fish in the 3 - 4 pound class. Lots of fun and hitting hard though the bite seemed to be scattered about several depths from 10 - 22 feet. We caught fish from the upper 1/3 of the creek to the mouth near 25 feet deep. Changed gears and went to the main channel and found a nice bite in 25 - 30 feet near the old Duck Blind. The fish slammed the baits very well and size upgraded to 6 pounds. Fished a hump near Big Allison and got the best fish of the day a 7.5 pound channel which exploded on the surface of the water when he got close to the boat---pretty sight to see. I will try to attach photo. Sounded like a big striper attaching a school of shad. Our bait was bream and white perch. The bream were the best hands down.

18. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Rodger, looks like you show'ed your friends a good fishin weekend! It's always fun when you're on fish. Nice photo, too!

19. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Patmansc I couldn't ask for a better weekend. We caught good numbers and good quality fish too. These guys traveled down from Hillsborough, NC and stayed all weekend. We didn't get in a big rush--took our time and the fish cooperated. It took cooperation from our wives too. We are in debt to them for sure. I took a lot of pictures and I plan to make a disc and send it to my buds.

20. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I didn't fish this weekend, but I did put in at BB twice. Putting in a 20' pontoon didn't give any trouble at all. I couldn't see the end of the ramp, the water was too dark. And a marina guy told me they put in a 30' cruiser saturday. So in my oppinion that ramps still pretty good.