Lake Wylie Report 9.14.09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Sep 14, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Overall Bite: GOOD
    I got a couple of days in this past weekend fishing on Lake Wylie with Mark Young. Friday night was a practice trip, and Saturday night was a tournament.

The lake has dropped about 1-1.25 feet in the past few weeks. There are some sandbars showing we have not seen since the drought. Water temps are now 81-83 degrees and the water is clear.

Right now the day bite is pretty good during the week. Weekends are still producing enough pleasure boaters to slow things down during the midday hours. The fish seem scattered, with no real concentrations along any certain depth contours. Almost any cut bait will produce fish.

The night before the tournament, Friday, was a much better night for overall numbers and size of fish. We drifted all night and caught a good number of fish scouting for the tournament. We also managed a 19 pound blue catfish on the end of Lake Wylie all the back in a cover in about 10 feet of water. So, the bigger fish ARE all over the lake. I think we will see a 50+ pound blue or flathead come from the lower lake soon.

The night of the tournament we continued fishing the lower lake and landed the 23 pound flathead in my avatar. That fish came out of the back of a creek, drifting, on a bream fillet. Overall the night of the tournament was a slow bite for bigger channel cats. We managed a dozen fish, and we won the tournament, but the total weight for three channel catfish was only 13 pounds.

So, good fish can be caught on Lake Wylie right now, especially if you can get out and fish during the week.

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Thanks for the report Dieter,I think I may head out in the morning and give it a go for awhile solo,I will have to drift all morning,my shoulder is not good enough yet to pull anchors,but I am ready to get on the water for a bit.Congrats on the win,Jeff was at the beach and I wasnt quite feeling up to it or we would have been there.:big_smile:

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Congrats on the win...."

Thanks!

BTW, instead of taking the money for the points race win, we asked Ted to donate the money to the Catch a Dream foundation. They provide hunting and fishing trips for children with life threatening illnesses. You can check them out at www.catchadream.org

You and Jeff gave us a run for our money in the points race this year! Great job! You can rest well knowing the money is going to a great cause. :wink:

4. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Anytime you win a tournament you have done a great job. Congrats on the tournament win and the donation.

I found out yrs ago that week day fishn produced more and bigger fish. I was on the week end shift at Springs Ind. for 18+ yrs. Being in managment, they didn't allow us to have any outside jobs, so fishn was my favorite pasttime. Later became my 2nd job:big_smile:

I will have to try wylie some the upcomming yr. Its close to home. Thanks for the info. I will probably need to get a map of the Lake so i can learn what the lower and upper part are.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congrats on the win, and the donation! Reps out to ya!

Bill in SC

6. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    congrats on the win now if only i could manage to catch one of those big cats out of wylie:0a2: ill get one one of these days haha

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Yea we wanted to try and take it this year but things didnt work out,that one tourney that we didnt weigh in hurt us real bad and then I came up and had to have this shoulder operated on and missing the last 2 events,that pretty much doomed us.I guess we probably still ended up 2nd or 3rd.
    Just look out,Next year Team Green want be playing around,We Coming after it hard:0a37:

Good jesture getting the money Donated to that organization:0a24:.Congrats on the points title too

8. crashman

crashman Guest

Congratulations on the win Dieter and thanks for the fishing reports. I hate I've missed the last few tournaments, my fishing partner isn't quite ready to "donate", but he's about there:wink:. In his defense he's been laid off for a while, but he's gotten his confidence up this last month, so hopefully we can hit them on the regular next year. Yeah an ol' buddy of mine just happened to get hooked on power drifting like I did. See you guys on the lake.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Hopefully you guys will make it out next year for some of the Teds events. The channel cat only events are wide open for anyone to take home a win on any given night.

On my last count Lake Wylie has more catfish tournaments than any other lake in the Carolinas outside of Santee Cooper.

:eek:oooh: :tounge_out: :eek:oooh: :wink:

Amazing!!

10. tha ''GUTBUCKET''

tha ''GUTBUCKET'' New Member

State:
    GASTONIA,NC WYLIE
    WYLIE CAT , WHO TOOK THE PIC FOR YOUR NEW AVATAR, BET HE WISHES HE HAD ONE

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Yes, my partner in the tournament win this weekend, tha "Gutbucket", took that shot!! Not bad I might add...actually up to my standards of photographic excellence.

Yes, I do have a picture of a 19 pound blue cat he caught the night before....hopefully he can have that up as his avatar as soon as I get that shot to him.... :smile2: :tounge_out: :wink: :big_smile: