Lake Wylie Report 8.24-8.25

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Aug 27, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Overall Bite: GOOD

With the Catawba Catfish Club tournament coming up on Lake Wylie this Saturday I wanted to give a quick mid-week fishing report from some of the trips I have taken in the evening this week. :big_smile:

Waters over much of the lake are 85-87 degrees, with temperatures ranging from 90-94 degrees in the South Fork River. The water is clear, and the lake is fluctuating 6" - 8" below its target elevation. Despite the lake level and lack of recent rains, daily discharges of water are taking place and creating current for an hour or so throughout the day. There is a scheduled water release the day of the tournament, the bad part is that it runs from 10:00am-4:00pm, two hours before the tournament. Perhaps some inflow will happen from Mt. Island Lake later that evening. :wink:

The bite on Wylie has been good drifting and anchoring, but you have to hit the right spot to catch fish. The fish are not as widespread as they will be later this fall. My experience this week has been that if you are not catching them within 20-30 minutes you will probably not catch them waiting another 20-30 minutes. So, be prepared to pick up and move. :confused2:

Another interesting observation is that I have been catching big mature males again. Apparently the spawn is finally complete and the big boys are feeding again and building back up. I caught several fish with the heads of a 7-8 pound fish that only weighed 5-6 pounds. If only I could lose that much weight spawning!!! :smile2:

All cut baits are working. Shad, bream, perch, and herring are producitng fish. Of course some baits work better than others in certain areas, so be prepared with several choices. :big_smile:

As far as depth goes, everything but the river channels is producing fish at night. There appear to be some fish suspended in the river channels, but I have not been fishing for them. They could be catfish, but they could also be gar and bass. :eek:oooh:

My catches have averaged around 15-18 fish per 5-6 hour outing. I have also completed the Lake Wylie Tri-Fecta catching channels, blues, and flatheads all in the same evening. The bad news is that I personally have not caught any monsters this week, but I know they are in there and some will show up at the tournament Saturday night. :wink:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good report as usual, Dieter.

Bill in SC

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Thanks for the report Dieter,cant wait till Saturday Evening:wink:I think this will be the best weigh in yet for a Catawba Catfish Club Tourney on Wylie if the bite stays on course thru Saturday night.:big_smile:

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks for the report Dieter.:wink: Wylie is on my list for next year along with Hartwell and Clarkshill. Reports are alway appreciated by all.:wink:

5. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the report. Can't wait for Saturday night.

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    damon you dont have to wate go tonight an hold them over thats what deiter going to do:smile2::smile2:

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Another excellent report. Thanks!

8. crashman

crashman Guest

Thanks for the report! Good luck in the tournament fellas!

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Update. :big_smile:

Just got back in from fishing from 6:00am-2:00pm today. The bite was ON today for channel cats and mid size blues. I caught 30 fish total up to about 18 pounds in every depth possible except really shallow under 6 feet. :eek:oooh:

So, with all that in mind, the fish are biting but there is no telling where they will be tomorrow evening for the Catawba Catfish Club tournament. Someone will either have to get lucky and park on top of them or be good at reading the sonar unit to pick out the active fish. :wink:

I don't think first and second place will be close, but I do think 2nd-4th will be tight. :crazy: