Lake Wylie Report 8.24.08- 8.30.08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Aug 31, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Overall Bite: SLOW

Heavy tropical rains rasied the level of Lake Wylie three feet to full pond in 36 hours bringing mud and cooler water into the lake. Debris covered most of the Catawba River, and the South Fork River had piers and entire trees in addition to other trash. This brought navigation to a slow crawl, and made night travel hazardous.

Labor day weekend boat traffic helped to move some of the debris out of the main waterways, but the constant flow of water downstream redirected a lot of it back into the middle channel overnight.

The lake is now falling as fast as it came up. Duke Energy is moving water rapidly through the system in an effort to avoid problem should one of the other tropical storms move into the area late next week. Flowing water, what only happened every 4-6 hours a few weeks ago, now happen almost constantly.

Water temps in the rivers have been 78-79 degrees, with temps on the lower around 81-84 degrees. The rivers are muddy, and the middle lake is stained, with the only clear water on the lower end of the lake.

The rise in water, then the fall in water, debris, and change in pH have made catching lots of fish difficult. The overall size of the catch is up, but since the rise in the water an average trip has only produced 8-10 fish.

2. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I bet the south fork does look awful. You better be careful or that new boat ain't gonna look new for long.:0a22:

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I fished yesterday and almost everything is gone. The water is also starting to clear up. The bite is pickiing up and things should be good in time for Hanna to dump a pile of rain on us this weekend!!!!

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Dieter I know you're out there about everyday, can you see a decline in boat traffic yet? Since fall is right around the corner.

I haven't been out since that last Ted's tournament. I've been spending some time getting ready for deer season.

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Yes, boat traffic is on a decline. The high muddy and cluttered water really reduced the number of folks this weekend. If we get the rain they are expecting this weekend it will probably take the wind out of a lot of folks sails.

In a couple of months the only folks at the ramps will be fishermen!!

While we still have some 90 degree days ahead, Labor Day is past, and so is the summer season.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Would you believe I had to remove 30 posts to get this one back on topic? Let's keep it friendly guys. And yes, I know who came in here and started this. Ya don't have to use the ignore button to ignore someone's messages. Then I would probably have only had to remove 2 or 3 posts. LOL And let's not forget the report a post button. Last time I checked, it still works. Thanks guys.

7. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thank you sir.:wink: