Lake Wylie Report 7.5.09 - 7.11.09

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jul 13, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Overall Bite: EXCELLENT

Lake Wylie is at its target elevation and has been there most of the week. Water temps are around 78 in the rivers, 84 on the main lake, and 90-92 in the South Fork River. The lake is basically clear.

Catches of 25-30 fish can be expected on parts of the lake, but the bite is not widespread. Pockets on creeks and coves can produce numerous fish, but the areas are small and best fished by drifting with repeated passes over the same area. Fish have finished spawning in certain area, but in other areas it is still winding down.

I was lucky enough to figure out a pattern in Friday nights Ted's Hunting and Fishing catfish tournament on Lake Wylie and landed 45 fish overnight. I was using perch, bream, and shad and all baits produced fish equally. The majority of the fish are in the 3-4 pound range, but anytime you can catch that many fish you usually get some nice ones, and that is what led to my tournament win. Everytime I found a pocket of fish I could hear LakeNormanBlues in the back of my mind saying, "never leave biting fish". I followed those words of wisdom and only fished three different spots to produce the 45 fish I caught.

Anchoring for fish is slow. Some big fish can be produced anchoring, especially in areas with current. The lack of rain, and lake levels are their target elevation, has limited the amount of water moving through the system. Waiting for current is at best a gamble right now.

The lunar phase this week seemed to make time of day critical, or at least the peak feeding coincided with the rising moon. Within a six hour trip an angler should hit on a major or minor feeding time, and the longer you can fish the greater your odds.

SCDNR is out in force writing tickets on Lake Wylie, so make sure you have your new 2009-2010 license and make sure your boat is in working order.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  2. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the post. That was a good write up. Now that I have my NC license George and I will probably be coming up to Wylie pretty soon to try and catch some of those big Lake Wylie cats.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Damon we enjoyed having you and George at the Carolina Catfish Club meeting and welcome you as new members! I am sure we will learn a lot from you as you frequent Lake Wylie more often.

Stay in touch with Billfish76 and myself. Cary usually trys to get several membes out on the lake since in between tournaments to see what we can catch.

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Thanks for the report Dieter,I heard you had a excellent bite Friday night.Hate I missed the Tourney.Damon and George welcome to the Carolinas Catfish Club also.:wink: