Lake Wylie Report 3.25.07

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Mar 25, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mudkip and myself fished a big fish wins all tournament on Wylie Saturday evening.

Conditions were awesome! Very little wind, nice temps, and clear skies. The water in the Catawba arm is around 63 degrees and the South Fork is about 10 degrees warmer and both arms are very clear.

We only needed one big one, but by late in the evening the fish bite was not looking too good. For a while we were wondering if we would land a respectable cat. At 11:15pm we had a fish big enough for a Lean Cuisine sandwich.

Then, around 11:30 Rodger put the smack down on a nice plump 7 1/2 pound channel cat. We figured we would at least be in contention with that one and were feeling a lot better. The smaller cats continued to bite, and in the words of LakeNormanBlues, you never leave biting fish. Around 12:15am I got a fish that I thought was another 4-5 pound channel. I even told Rodger not to bother with the net. As it got to the boat we realized it was a much larger blue cat.

The fish ended up weighing just over nine pounds and that was enough to get us the victory.

The night before I did some drifting from around 7:30pm-11:30pm. The fishing was ok, but did not pick up good til around 10:30pm. Most of the fish were in the 4-5 pound range with one 6 1/2 pounder.

The warmer water temps have increased the numbers and the size on Wylie, and this should continue into the spawn.

2. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    congrats on the win!!! I wish I knew about that one Id of liked to fish it.

I fished in the South Fork this morning and did ok with a few small ones. The bite was steady with one about every 10 to 15 minutes or so. All were caught on cut bream in about 15 feet of water drifting.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Cary I wish I could make posts about all the tournament stuff going on, but this forum forbids it.

PM or e-mail Rodger or myself and we will keep you abreast of what we know is going on.