Lake Wylie Report 2.8.09 - 2.14.09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Feb 18, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Overall Bite: GOOD

Lake temperatures remained around 51-53 degrees over much of the lake including the South Fork River. Apparently the discharge of hot water into the South Fork River was halted this week lowering the "hot hole" temperature, of course that could change at any time. The lake is as clear as it gets right now.

Be prepared to change your technique and location. That sums up fishing on Lake Wylie right now.

The bite has varied from day to day. Patterning fish from week to week has been difficult due to swings in temperature. Anglers that are willing to spend time fishing different depth ranges can find success, but what works today may not work a few days from now if it warms up or cools off significantly.

To guarantee success right now be sure to come prepared with several cut baits and be prepared to anchor and drift. Some days the anchor bite is the only way to go, and some days the fish are caught drifting. I wish I had a good explanation of why this is, but I don't. Perhaps as our weather stabilizes into spring conditions in a few weeks things will be a bit easier.

Fish are not super shallow, but don't hesitate to fish 10-12 feet of water. The deep river channels hold fish at certain times, but most fish are being caught in the mid ranges of 15-20 feet.

Right now the dedicated angler can expect to catch 15-20 fish on a typical outing on Lake Wylie.

2. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Very informative and well written report Dieter. It makes me want to go fishing right now.:0a18:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I like reading your reports, Dieter, even though I don't fish up that way. Thanks.

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks for the report.:wink:

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Good post Dieter:wink:,only one other thing I would like to see in your post are accurate GPS coordinates for those hawgs you been catching:eek:oooh:,they will come in very handy on March 21st,the day of Lake Wylies 1st Annual Iron Man Tournaments:cool2:,I do accept PMs from you if you dont wanna broadcast nationwide:smile2::tounge_out::smile2:,very good post otherwise:wink:

6. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    Thanks for the report hope to see you out on the lake soon.

7. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Great report Deiter,keep um coming.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....I would like to see in your post are accurate GPS coordinates for those hawgs you been catching...."

The truth is that none come from "secret holes".

Occasionally several will come from one small area, but if you go back and fish that same small area again looking for them you will be fishing for ghosts. :crazy: I have done that too many times.

Obviously certain areas have structure and other characteristics that will hold fish at times, but depending on the various water conditions those fish may or may not be there.

The hardest thing I have learned is understanding what I learn!! :smile2: What I mean by that is, you pick up on some pattern or something that works, and you have to be careful to not over think or apply too much too it. I can be a little too quick to read into it too much and apply to many conclusions to what I observe.

As for March 21st, and the Iron Man, it will be an interesting pair of tournaments. One will be for the three biggest hawgs you can catch, the you will have to switch gears in the darkness and catch big channel cats! It will be a true test that is for sure!

March can deliver some turbulent weather, so hopefully it will be fair to partly cloudy, a light breeze, and slightly above seasonable temperatures!!!

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    gonna be cold and windy...

10. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    very well said,I am like that myself,i will overthink a situation very often instead of just following what got me there in the first place and thats basic instinct,especially when it comes to tournament fishing,the competitive juices start to flow and youre always out to one up the others and the next thing ya know its time for weigh in and you're sitting there kicking yourself in the butt knowing a certain pattern was working but yet refused to use it cause you thought you could one up the others with something totally different and all it does is backfires on you.I lived that reality at the last tourney,it darn well better not happen next week.
    Yes it will be very interesting to see what weather pattern we have on March 21st.hopefully it will be a good one.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the report Dieter. I haven't fished since last May so I'm glad to see a report every now and then.