Lake Wylie Report 1st Week of June 2009

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jun 4, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Overall Bite: EXCELLENT

Its been a while since I have made any posts about Lake Wylie. May is a busy work month for me, so my fishing was non-existent for almost three weeks. The race weeks at Charlotte are over, my work is back to normal, and I am back fishing. :wink:

Lake Wylie is finally back to its target elevation following heavy rains from thunderstorms last week. The rains muddied the water, but made for some good fishing for those that ventured out into the debris. Bowlerman's 67 pound Arkansas blue and his 43 pound flathead are proof of that. :eek:oooh:

This week the waters are much clearer. Water temperatures are 77-80 degrees over much of the lake.

The bite has been good both drifting and anchoring. Bream is becoming a popular bait like it usually does when the waters warm, but white perch and shad still produce fish. For whatever reason, live bait is not working as well as it has in the past. I am not sure what is up with this, and it will probably change in a few weeks, but this week I have ended up switching over to all cut bait after a couple of hours of no bites on the live baits.

If weekends are your only time to fish, then I would suggest fishing at night or early in the morning. 11:00am until sunset is a mess on the lake due to pleasure boaters, jet skies, and ski boats. The ramps are also bad and parking is sometimes full by 2:00pm.

If you can make it out and fish during the week or at night on the weekends, then you can expect a great bite right now. Catches of 20-25 fish can be expected, and an occasional 15+ pound fish is not out of the question. :big_smile:

2. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Nice report...everyone like to hear that the bite is "EXCELLENT":big_smile::big_smile:

3. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hopefully in the next few weeks George and I can make it up to Wylie to try some of the fishing up there.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good report. I plan on hitting Wylie in a few weeks.

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I believe a few of us will be heading out tomorrow night.
    Riverrat and Damon let us know when your coming and well try and point you in the right direction.

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks Dieter!:wink: I've never fished Wylie, But I'm thinking of giving it a go for a Catawba tourney. Just have to wait and see.

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Bring the Smackdown on up?:wink::big_smile:

8. alastingtouch

alastingtouch New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the report. I'll be leaving out of Allison Creek Monday morning. (avoiding weekend traffic)

I've had success with extra large frozen shell on shrimp (Wal-Mart). Wylie cats seem to love 'em!

Monday I'm trying shrimp that has "mellowed" or marinated in a bowl of liver for a week in the fridge. Yummy!

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks billfish. I haven't fished Wylie since 2007 and its only 55 minutes from the house.