Lake Wylie Report 12.7.08 - 12.13.08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Dec 15, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Overall Fishing: POOR

Water conditions late this week turned bad with the 2"-3" of rain we had. Lots of debris in the water and very muddy. River temperatures were around 49-51 degrees, with little increase in the South Fork due to the influx of cold rain water.

Lake Wylie was within 6" of being at full pond on 12/12/08, but they have been moving a lot of water through the system and the lake is back down about two feet below full pond now.

The bite was tough later in the week, but not too bad before the rain. Small cats were being caught before the high water. Depth ranges have varied greatly, and there is no real depth range to target especially since the rains. Before the rains catches of 10-12 fish could be expected, but since the muddy and higher water has moved in catches of 3-5 are the norm.

The good news is that the water is slowly clearing and warmer weather is on the way. This should bring about a brief but improved bite by mid week.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks for the report, Dieter. Any idea as to why the muddy water impacts the catch rate?

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Any idea as to why the muddy water impacts the catch rate?...."

My theory? A rapid change in the pH messes up the fish for a few days.

Some people say muddy water is great for catching catfish. I think there are some locations where that may apply, like where a creek empties into a lake or river and a mudline is formed. I also think that mud in rivers that are regularly stained is much less significant than mud in a clear lake. The pH change is not as dramatic in regularly stained water as in clearer water.

I have never been able to produce a good bite when an entire body of water is very muddy and cluttered with debris. I have heard the tales of "we caught 'em in the mudline" and such, but it has never worked for me. Maybe I am doing something wrong, because I have tried many times. As always, I am open for suggestions and would love to learn a secret.

I really think that because of the amount of biomass in Lake Wylie, and the clarity of the water, mud has an adverse effect on the fish bite.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've heard people talk about fishing the mudline where the sf runs into the catawba a bunch. But I've never actually tried it.

A month or so ago drifting in the main channel was producing good bites. I was kinda hoping that would keep up through some of the winter. Do you think that's over. Or maybe it wll get good again when the water clears up.

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....A month or so ago drifting in the main channel was producing good bites. I was kinda hoping that would keep up through some of the winter. Do you think that's over...."

I think there is a lot more of that channel fishing to come. The trick will be to pay attention to the weather, the water temperature, and the bait.

Winter cats are much easier to pattern when the weather stays consistent; either very cold or cool. Changes in the weather pattern like the rain we just had, and the warm temps we are having now, mix and shake things up. You can see a good bite disappear in a very short time.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    AMEN to that. I have fished the same area 3 times in the last few days at santee caught 21 nice blues monday and went back today and got skunked. Water temps have risen 5 degrees and there is a ton of new water. I hope it gets cold soon.