Lake Wylie Report 12.31.07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wylie catter, Dec 31, 2007.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My partner and I fished wylie almost all day today. The weather was great, but the fishing not so good.
    We fished a lot of areas from around ebeneezer back to nivens creek. All the bait was balled up at an average depth of 27'. The arches were in, around, and under, almost every bunch of bait we saw. I wouldn't mark hardly any bait or fish until we were in 35+ feet of water. Some places that had bait everywere a few weeks ago had nothing now. The deepest water looked to hold the most fish = 50+ feet.

We anchored at a few places holding bait. Caught probably 8 fish total while anchored. All little ones 3 or 4 lbs at best. Each one was stuffed with shad. They looked like their bellies were gonna pop.

We drifted a LOT also. We were moving slow enough (0.0) by gps. But no takers. None. We were using shad for bait.
    Fun trip all in all. Great day to be on the water.

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Good report Wyliecatter. It can be slow at this time of year. Sounds like a nice day however.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great report. The bait situation sounds similar to what Billfish76 and I faced the other day. The bait was in some DEEP WATER!! We hit the channel out around Tega Cay and from 40 feet on down had baitfish and we caught cats.

From what I understand shad go deep as the water temp drops into the lower 50's to find stable water temps. Shad will die in water below 39 degrees and can only survive a few days in water that is 40 degrees. So, I guess when it starts to drop into the lower 50's they go into ALERT MODE!!

The surface water on the lower part of Wylie the other day was 51-52 degrees.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yep the water temp was still 52.

5. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    How's the water level on Wylie? I usually fish on Big Allison and sometimes out of Buster Boyds, but have heard rumors of low water and closed ramps.

Thanks,
    Steve

6. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    The water has come up around 2 feet, Im told. The only ramp that is open is Nivens Creek. We have no problem launching from there.

7. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I went to Allison landing a few days ago just to look at it. The water was only covering about 2' of the cement on the ramp. And that's if you measure horizontally. It was probably only 12" or so deep on the ramp.

It's got a looong way to go.

But like Billfish said nivens creek is very good.

8. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    And Steve, Welcome to the BOC.

9. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks guys,
    I just lucked up on the site yesterday. This is my first year as a die hard catter. Probably fished 20+ time in 2007. I fished Greenwood (a lot), Santee Cooper, and Montecello. Had some great trips, wonderful times and pretty darn good catches. No monsters, a 27 pound flathead the biggest :eek:oooh:. Best catch of the year was in November at Greenwood - 35 channels - 19 pounds the best - in 4 hours - by myself.

Looking foward to sharing with ya'll

Steve

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome to the BOC Steve.Congradulations on the 19 lb channel, that is a big accomplishment.That dont happen much these days.

11. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    HOLY CRAP!!!!...a 19 lb channel is an absolute HAWG...man i would probably come apart if i put a 19 lb channel in the boat...congrats on that steve and welcome to the b.o.c.:big_smile:...by the way how did ya catch that channel and if you don't want to give away your secrets i understand.:wink:

12. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I was drifting the mouth of the creek directly below the 221 bridge, in about 27 feet of water. I had 2 large channels in a row, the other was a 14 pounder. Both hit on shrimp soaked in garlic, using a 6\0 Mustad Demon circle hook and a home-made 3\4 ounce slinky weight.

My wife had just called when the 14 pounder hit, I laid the cell in the seat, reeled it in and the 19 pounder hit just as I pulled the 1st on in the boat. After I got the big channel in, I told the wife to call back every 15 minutes, she must be good luck!:wink:

I think I owe a lot of my success with learning to catfish to hiring a guide, Gary Hill at Santee, back in October. He was as much teacher as he was guide. My catches have certainly improved since going out with him.

13. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    thats a great thing to do!! fishing with a guide one time can make all the difference in the world!! I know many guides here on Lake Murray and they have all helped me alot!! congrats on the big channel....

14. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Shrimp :crazy: Shrimp :eek:oooh: Shrimp :smile2: And everybody laughs at me when I talk about the "Lucky Shrimp"!!! And I thought that I was the ONLY lost soul dragging shrimp around Greenwood :big_smile: Ah, Steve, I do believe you have opened the eyes of the unbelievers :wink:

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Oh boy, it must have been the garlic they liked, LOL.

16. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i knew that was coming sooner or later patmansc:big_smile::eek:oooh::big_smile:can't argue with those kind of results...reckon i'm gonna have to get me some garlic and some shrimpies...and steve thanks for the report:wink:

17. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    19 lb channel cat, man that had to but a sweet battle.Cograts & welcome To the BOC.

18. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Nice Channel!! Welcome to the BOC Steve.

I'll probably never get Pat to use cut bait again!:tounge_out::eek:oooh::smile2:

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dang Steve!! At the rate you are progressing you will have at least two state record fish by 2009!!! What a great channel cat!! I dream of hooking into one that size!! I caught a 12-4 a couple of years ago and that was my last DD channel cat!

20. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Good morning guys,

Haven't posted in a few days, I've been working hard and heavy on a mission project for the church this week. May be able to get back on the lake by Saturday. I never fish Sundays, I am an assistant pastor at Peace Freewill Baptist in Spartanburg. My fishing buds accuse me of divine intervention while fishing!:embarassed:

I don't know if was the shrimp, the garlic, or the prayers that worked, :wink:but I have caught several channels on shrimp this year. I buy it when its about to go out of date and they drop the price. I put the shrimp in a large zip lock bag, put about a table spoon of minced garlic in garlic oil in the bag, shake well and put it in the fridge for a couple of days. You can smell it a 100 yards away when you open the bag.:eek:oooh:

I recieved a PM from Patmansc about the kind of boat I use on Greenwood, but am I am not allowed to pm back yet (still a newbie). I use a 15 foot V bottom aluminum boat with a 15 johnson on it. I have a home-made rod holder (6' of extruded alum. with 4 holders made from 11 guage rolled aluminum) on the left side. Sometimes we fish on my bud's 24 foot pontoon. I almost always put in at Reeder's at the 221 bridge. By the way, the quickest way to ID me on the lake is to sniff for the garlic!:smile2: