Lake Wylie Report 12.15.07

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Dec 15, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    With the year almost to wrapped up, and the weather starting to look more like winter, Billfish76 and I decided it was a good time to do some fishing out on Lake Wylie. Since only one ramp was open, and the since it was a Saturday, we decided to get out early and were on the water at 6:00am.

We started out fishing the shallows near the back of Allison Creek. We drifted water from 6-25 feet and only caught one fish. Not a good bite. We moved further down the creek and found some good schools of bait in 30-33 feet of water and decided to make some drifts here. The bite was much better and we put 9-10 fish in the boat around those bait balls.

On our way out we ran across Mudkip in the catoon doing some open water drifting. He was bundled up well and enjoying a peaceful day on the lake. :smile2:

We next moved out to some open water, but the wind was really bad and limited our ability to slow the boat down. We did manage a few more fish, but by noon we were heading back to the ramp. We ended the day with 14 channel cats from 2-6 pounds.

Upon arrival at the Nivens Creek Access we were greeted by police cars, blue lights, SCDNR officers, and a sunken boat!! :eek:oooh: There was a significant fuel spill that spread hundreds of yards downstream from the boat covering the cove. The boat began taking on water for some unknown reason, ran ashore, and the back half of the boat was filled with water.

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I was doing some deep water recon today on Lake Wylie (too lazy to make the long ride to Colonel Creek :big_smile:)

As Wyliecat and Billfish passed by I was 3/4 of the way through an approximate 1/2 mile drift with no takers until I pulled a 8.5 pound channel off a hump in 15 feet arising out of 34 feet. Continued down to Big Ally and drifted out the Nuclear canal toward open water and hooked up 2 more times with medium size channels. Fish were real silty and must have been fast to the bottom. Not an exceptional bite for me in the 2 hours I spent on the water but always a pleasure to be able to get out there. Water temp 56.7F Wind was chilly from NE at 5-10.

Nice to see my BOC bros on the water. I hope the incident on Nivens doesn't jeopardize the last remaining ramp on Wylie.

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Besides the wind and the cold it was a good morning to be fishing. As Wyliecat said things didnt start off that good, but we finished off doing well. We caught fish on every bait we tried, Bream, Shad, Perch, and a secret bait

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Cary, was that secert bait from LKN or Wateree?:wink:

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I believe that it was taken from Wateree.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Dern I wish I would have known yall were out there. We put in a Nivens around 10:00. Went up to ebeneezer and marked a lot of bait out in the open water. So we did a couple long drifts. Three bites total. One fish landed. It was a pretty good one, about 5 lbs. The wind wouldn't keep a constant derection for us. Or speed for that matter. Went back towards the dam and anchored in a cove to avoid the wind. Had three or four strong bites in there. In 12' of water fancasted all over the place toward the banks and docks. Caught a 4.5 lber in there. Then moved to a point in nivens creek that looked awesome. Marked bait and fish big time in about 20' of water. We tried for probably 30 minutes to get the boat to hold, but the wind had gotten too bad. And when we tried to move it took about 20 more minutes to get one of the achors to let go. Ironic.. We were using fresh shad for bait. A lot of the fish I marked were suspended but we fished the bottom. That may have been part of the problem. They were getting the sunk boat out when we left. Like wyliecat said there was oil and or gas all over the place. It was a fun trip all and all. Cold and windy and rainy and fun.

Wyliecat I think I might have saw you one time passing me near ebeneezer.

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Wylie catter that is a great report thanks. I think the bite is off a bit. Went out in the wind today and caught one bullhead--I'd like to blame it on the front passing and the 20 mph wind. The boat drifted well with 2 big drift socks keeping the boat steady at 0.8 but no takers on secret bait or traditional baits:big_smile:

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Glad that all y'all had a good (& safe) time on the water. It's incidents like that sunken boat that keep me mindful of safety precautions. The last thing that I want for me or any guests is a dip in 50-something degree water :eek:oooh:

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Wyliecatter we saw two different cat boats out there, beside Mudkip of course. One was in Allison Creek as we were heaidng out and another one appeared to be drifting along the main channel just north of Nivens.

I e-mailed the game warden and he said the boat that sank hit something and knocked a thru-hull mounted transducer off and puff...in came the water. :eek:oooh: