Lake Wylie Report 1.27.08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 27, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fished Wylie alone today out of Buster Boyd access area. After being closed for months, it was nice to lauch out of there and fish the upper lake. Two of the four ramps were reopened last week. The ramps are not steep, so if you plan to launch your boat alone you will need some rubber boots if you do not want to get you feet wet!! :wink:

Air temps were in the low 50’s with a 7-10mph wind out of the NW with clear skies. Water temps on the main lake were around 50-53 and 60-63 on the South Fork. The lake is currently 94.6 and the target level is 97.

Bait was very thick and heavy on the main channel in the deeper waters. The cooler surface water temps are dirving the shad deeper to more stable water temps and the fish are following them to the deeper water.

I landed some nice channels in the 5-8 pound range and also a couple of small blues. The upper South Fork only produced one fish and showed no where near the bait of the Catawba. The upper Catawba waters were very cold and held virtually no bait compared to the sections near the Buster Boyd bridge, so I did some looking around and headed south.

While at the upper end I took a look at the ramps at South Point access area. Currently they are closed, but four of the six could be opened now without a problem.

I ended the day with eight cats and fished from 1:30pm-5:30pm. All fishing was done drifting .25-.50mph.

2. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a good trip for the amount of time.
    The south fork will probably start getting good pretty soon, I bet.

Does 94.6 stand for 94.6% of full pond? I've always wondered that.

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    thanks for the report Deiter,I am ready to get back out on Wylie soon and catch some more of those wylie channels and get on up river to find some of them blues yall been catching :big_smile:

4. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    It most likely stands for the number of feet above sea level.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    94.6 could be looked at as a percent, but it is really a foot measurement below full pond, with full pond being 100. Duke Power tracks all its lakes on a 100 scale. It is a little easier to keep up with than having to know the elevation on every lake, which of course would be different.