Lake Wylie Report 1.18.09 - 1.24.09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 25, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    OVERALL BITE: POOR

Lake Wylie has been clear this week with water temps falling early in the week from the extreme cold weather last weekend. The rivers were 42-43 degrees earlier this week and climbed to 45-46 with the more seasonable weather later in the week. The South Fork was warmer this week due to power production and ranged from 54-56 degrees.

Catfish, bream, crappie, and white perch have been hard to catch this week. Perhaps this is due to the rapid changes in water temperature and the fluctuations in weather. Simply put; the fish are not where they were two weeks ago nor are they biting like they were.

The good news is that the fish still need to eat. Keep an eye out for warming trends since this could spark a good bite for 3-4 days. Dress warm and plan to anchor for catfish and fish deeper water. Don’t plan on the rods going off every five minutes. Down size the bait and hooks and be patient.

2. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Thanks for the report. I was on Wylie the last two days. Sat morning and went again this evening. I managed two little scrubs.

It does make me feel a little better when someone on this board who fishes a lot says it tough!

I think my biggest problem is getting good bait. I've been reduced to buying shiners at the local bait shop. I've never had much luck with those.

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Guess its a good thing I went Tuna fishing last weekend, although we didnt catch one. But I got out on the ocean for a few hours and heard the drag scream when 1 did bite.

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice report Dieter.

5. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fished a pond saturday that's slam loaded with bass, crappie and bream and I could'nt get a nibble. When you throw everything in your tackle box and don't get a hit it's time to go home.

I even bought live minnows. I never do that..:confused2: