Lake Wylie - problems catching catfish?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by youngcatfisherman55, Jul 9, 2006.

1. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was just wondering if anyone has been catching any cats out of Wylie lately? I have tried chicken livers, cut bream, live bream, nightcrawlers and I havent got a bite. I have been fishing Wylie alot lately but turning up with no luck. Is any other Wylie catters catching anything? If you are, can you tell me where and with what kind of bait? Thanks.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I haven't fished Wylie but I have been fishing new water on Jordan and I can tell you the fishing is just now picking up. Like you I was having a little trouble due to spwan and weather but I kept tring and it paid off big last night. The crappie fishermen were out in force but I was enjoying the fruit of their labor and catching many cats, nothing large yet 6-7 lbs was the biggest but it beats a skunk. Keep your head up and keep trying they will come.

3. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    We have been having decent luck on Wylie both from the bank and from a boat. Cut 'Gill has been doing the best, but we have had to look around some for the fish.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    How big of a piece of cut bait have you been using? I haven't been able to go for a couple weeks, but I'm glad somebody has.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Youngcat I just found your post, so I am not sure how old it is.

The cat bite has died off a little over the past couple of weeks. the night bite seems to be a lot better as far as size goes than the day bite. The lower lake has a lot of white cats biting, but most are offshore on humps.

The bigger cats are being caught shallow, so if you are bank fishing you may want to try casting parallel to the bank instead of straight out. You would be amazed how shallow you can catch some 5-7 pound channels.

6. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    We have had the best luck on 'gill heads, cut right behind the gill plate. Probably 1 1/2 - 2 " back from the nose. My step-son caught a nice 4 1/2-5 #channel last night off the bank.

7. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    This is a good time of year for mussels. Find and prepare like this:
    1. Go to Grocery store and get a cheap plastic colander for sifting.
    2. Go to lake and find some sandy shoreline. You will see empty mussel
    shells on bank and in shallow water.
    3. From shallow water, reach down about 2-6" deep and pull out a handfull of whatever comes up....should be some mussels in it.
    4. Sift out sand using colander and put mussels in a 5 gallon bucket.
    5. Repeat till you get a good many.
    6. At home, put hot, but not boiling water over mussels, They'll open up and you can pick out the goodie. NO BOILING WATER. You don't want to cook'em.
    7. Put all you mussels in a container and head for lake.
    8. At Wylie, I use a #2 catfish tru-turn hook and put about 3 mussels on at a time.
    9. Catch fish.

8. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Steve,

That's pretty interesting information. Never thought about mussels being used for bait. Do the cats tear it up when you use it?

9. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    They will get you very quick bites but I have never caught anything over 4#'s with it.

10. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    We caught 5 in 3 hours Friday night and 18 in 7 1/2 hours Saturday night. All caught on cut gills, fishing with WylieCat.

Again, all were caught pretty shallow and in a lot of different places on the lake.