Lake Wylie on Friday the 13th

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Apr 13, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Friday the 13th; what a great day to fish!

I fished the upper river today in the same place I fish last week. Since last week the air temps have dropped a lot and the water temps are down 6-8 degrees to around 59. The barometer has been rising steadily for the past 36 hours and I was fishing under bluebird skys.

At first light I did some anchoring and caught three fish. I tried this until around 9:30am and decided to do some drifting since the bite was not hopping. The drift bite was better, but not as good as last week. With the high pressure and colder water I decided to move to deeper water and that paid off. The fish were twice as deep as last week.

I ended the trip with 18 channels and blues up to six pounds. Not a bad day on the water. I did not get on the 7-9 pound fish like a week ago, but most were in the 4-6 pound range.

I ended the day doing a little seminar at the boat landing! Some gentlemen in a NICE center console had just come in from fishing for cats. We chatted and they said they had only caught two fish. The place they fished was a good spot, so I was a little amazed they only caught two all morning. After some talking about their set-up I think I was able to help them out. They were drifting WAY TOO FAST. He said he was traveling at around 1.25-1.50 according to his GPS. I told him to cut that in half and he would catch more fish.

Another man overheard us talking and came up and ask me some questions. HE was trying to learn how to drift for cats, but was getting snagged up a lot. I explained to him how a drift rig works and gave him one of mine to try out. He had been using a regular sinker and was hanging up a lot.

So, not only did I catch some fish, but I was able to help some folks out!! :lol:

2. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Sounds great. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing better than advice from good fisherman. Years of experience dispenced in mere minutes.

Jon

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The only reason I know what I know is because of people like Mudkip and LakeNormanBlues that didn't mind giving up a few secrets!!!!

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Sounds like a good day. The way I look at it is that any advice is good advice from someone that catches fish.