Lake Wylie, Nivens Creek

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by billfish76, Oct 11, 2007.

1. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I took the family down there this afternoon for a boat ride to catch some bait for this weekend. The water is down since I last fished there 2 weeks ago. Last time I could tie the boat up alongside the dock while I moved the truck and trailer. Today my wife had to hold the bow about 4 feet from the end of the pier so I could pull the trailer out of the water.

Its not looking good for out tournament there...

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    As of tonight it is 6.4 below full pond....and that is only one foot above its minimum level. Todays level is a foot lower than a week ago.

There is no rain in 15 day extended forcast.

Folks, I really don't think people realize how bad this drought is and what the potential problems are.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    It wouldn't be so bad if people had stopped water there grass four months ago. Granted it would still be bad just not as bad.

I've never used Nivens Creek myself so I wouldn't know how bad it is for that area just how bad it is in general.

4. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    went to nivens last night ,the creek is getting dangerous, the points in that section of the lake are shallow anyway and now some reach over half way across, so if you go ,go when you can see the area , because i know the area well and i still seen some surprises last night, but on the lighter side the catfish and crappie are tearing it up in 30' of water fishing about at every depth ,the bait is starting to ball up and relate to the creek channels so finding the fish was easy. be carefull and go fishing while we can because they pulled water last night for about 2hrs at at the rate the lake is falling if nothing changes nivens will be closed soon , i hope im wrong see yall later

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Went down to take a look this afternoon. The good news is that you can still get a boat in and out. I never realized how long the ramps are there. if you stand at the end of the pier, there is about 17' to the ramp. If you look into the water the ramps seem to go out about 5 to 6 feet. The bad news is, if you are like me and fish by yourself alot there isnt a place to tie up and go get the trailer without letting the boat hang off the end. If things dont change much more I think we can launch from there, if peolpe are patient

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    There was an article in The State newspaper where the Riverkeeper expressed anger of the residents that Duke was drawing down the lakes to make power while urging lake residents to save water due to the above average temps in October. These folks were talking about the recent near 2 foot draw down on Wateree but I don't think it is a accident that Wylie dropped another foot in 7 days the same time Wateree went down.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    According to the Duke Energy website, Lake Wylie is 6" from its minimum level.

We just came out of the second wettest months of the year, September, with little rainfall. November is our second driest month, so the end may not be any time soon.

The six month forecast is showing below normal precipitaion.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I don't put much stock into weather forecasts. If they were good they would have forecast the drought. We will have to wait and see what happens.