Lake Wylie July Reports

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jul 6, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Lake Wylie 7.06.07

I went out with my brother today on Wylie. First time ever he has been out on my boat with me fishing. Amazing it has taken this long to get him to go. Weather was clear at 6:00am, no wind, barometer steady all morning around 1015mb, South Fork River was 92-95 and the main lake was 85.

We anchored for a few hours in the South Fork and caught one small channel. Very few bites. We then trolled Catawba Creek and caught four channels in the 3-4 pound range. Next we headed to Crowders Creek and never caught a fish even though we had a few small bites. Both creeks showed plenty of markings, but no major runs of fish. We then fished some of the main lake areas and we caught three more. No major fish, just 3-4 pounders on bream heads and parts.

Just not a good bite today, at least not this morning. Maybe this afternoon or evening will be hopping. It was nice to get my brother out on the boat with me.

We also got a visit from the SCDNR while fishing. First time I have ever had my license checked. Luckily I asked my brother before we left if he had a SC license, he said no, and we purchased his license online before we left the house!! :smile2:

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    You really got the horseshoe mojo going ON!:big_smile:

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    LOL Horseshoe Mojo. LOL

I'm not sure where he keeps that thing but I need one on my boat.

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Lake Wylie 7.07.07

With a date like 7.7.07, I figured the fish HAD to be biting, or some luck wuold be on my side! It appeared everyone else from the BOC thought the same thing since Billfish was out on the same creek I was, Mudkip was on Wateree, and LakeNormanBlues was out on Norman, so with all that knowledge I hoped we could pinpoint where some fish where. Water was around 83 degrees at 7:00am, the baromter was steady around 1014mb, and the winds were calm.

Well, I caught fish, but not "through the roof" crazy catching. I found a hump in one of the creeks and caught most of the fish in and around that hump. There was a good streak from about 8:30am-10:30 when I was on the fish, but after about the fourth pass over the area the bite went away. I think I ended up catching around 11 fish in that general area. I hollared at Billfish and I think he caught some there too, but he seemed to be doing well on his side of the creek. Bream heads and white perch were being hit equally.

Next I tried some places along the main lake that usually produce, but by 11:00pm the bite had died off. Lots of markings, but no takers. With boat traffic getting crazy I decided to end the day at 14 and head to the house.

Ironically, my average catch per day for July so far is.... 7.7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I started at the back of the creek and was drifting out. I caught most of my fish in one area with a few SMALL ones here and there. I ended up with 12 catfish and 1 4lb bass and headed in around 11 also. We did find a small patch of white perch, and Wyliecat pulled out a nice one that Im sure will taste good.

6. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    My thoughts are that the morning bite is not that hot right now. The fish have to eat sometime, so I would bet that the afternoon or evening is probably the time to be on the water right now.

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Still a pretty good day Wyliecat. 14 cats to you seems pretty routine but to another it is a real good mess of fish. Fish ON! bro

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Ya, not that bad a day. I did have to work the same hump 4-5 times to make it happen, and that was about the only place I found fish all morning. After the seven fish catch on Friday I decided to work the hump in case the rest of the creek was barren. It was a smart decision. :wink:

As soon as Billfish came across that hump and they realized it was him, THE FISH LEFT!! Fish are scared of him, so don't fish near him. :smile2:

There was just not the widespread bite that there is on the "good days". I am sure it is only a matter of a couple of days or a different time of day and you will be able to catch them all up and down the creeks.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Lake Wylie 7.15.07

This week has been slower than normal on Wylie. The drift bite is just not happening, and the anchor bite is slower than normal. Trips are producing about 1/2 what is normally caught in July. I have tried mornings, afternoons, and evenings, and all are equally dismal.

Main lake water temps are in the lower 80's and the South Fork is in the lower 90's. The lake is relatively clear.

10. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Did you fish the morning or evening today?

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Lake Wylie 7/22-7/28

I fished a good bit this week. Overall the bite has been a lot better than in previous weeks. I think LakeNormanBlues took the funk off my boat or something when we fished Norman this week. Ever since then things have gotten better.

On the 26th I took my wifes brother out to try to get him a new personal best, which to this point had been a five pound channel cat in TN. The morning drift bite did not work too well and we only had eight fish by noon. Around 1:00pm we we were getting ready to pack it up and we started catching fish. He topped his personal best with an eight pound blue, then a 14 pound flathead that hit a piece of white perch on a drfit rig in the middle of the day. The ultimate came when one of the rods folded over and he hooked into a 22 pound blue!

It was the first time he had done any drifting/trolling, so it was a good learning experience. After hearing fishing stories from my wife he was expecting to go out and catch some big fish. I tried to tell him that it does not always work out like that and that more times than not you come home with a "normal" catch of fish. Well, now he thinks this is how it is all the time and that I was just trying to play it all down. I figure if he goes out a couple of more times with me he will get to experience a normal day on Wylie!!

A big group of us fished Wylie on Friday night including Mudkip, WylieCatter, and Billfish. We started out dodging some rain showers and lightning. For Mudkip and myself the bite was not that good for numbers, but three of the four fish we caught were nice. Wyliecatter had a nice stringer of channel cats and seemed to have the combination for getting the numbers in the boat.

12. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah it was a fun, weird night. First I got caught in a BAD lightning storm. I should have waited at the dock an extra hour. Got so spooky running up the lake trying to make it to the bridge that I ducked off into a little cove I've never been in, and beached it. The lightning was "scary bad" for about 30 minutes. We put a few rods out and to my surprise started killin the fish. The whole time it stormed we caught good fish. 3.5 to 5 lbers. Probably 15 or 20 of them. I would re-bait a rod, throw it out, stick in a rod holder, and run back up on the bank. When the storm let up so did the fish. I only caught about 3 after the lightning let up. Fished a few "honey holes" with one fish per hole average. We were up river and the second storm came through so I ran to hide under a bridge. And to my surprise we tore the fish up under that bridge. It was cool. We would cast up at the bank and the dern wind was blowing so hard that it would slowly make my boat drag the two anchors and move out from under the bridge into the rain. So we were kinda doing a real slow drift of bait that was about 5' off the bank. We caught fish steady there until the storm blew over and then it died off. We had 2 on at a time a bunch of times. I'm a firm believer that either before, during, or after a storm the fish will always bite. One of those three times. All and all I had a great time. I didn't catch small whales like Wylie Cat did, but I took home 12 nice channels that are now nice fillets in my freezer. And we threw a lot of fish back. My partner Friday night said it was the funnest catfish trip he's ever been on on Wylie. And he's fished with some guys that are good. So that made me feel good too. The bait of choice was cut herring. I did not catch a single cat on bream heads or fillets, or perch heads or fillets. Weird huh.

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    For some odd reason I can not catch catfish on Wylie with bluebacks. I have tried a couple of times and had limited luck and gave up on them. It is probably one of those things where certain baits on certain days will kill 'em...and I have just used them the wrong days.

The storm was a nice one. Glad you guys stayed safe out there. Mudkip and I helped a couple of people launch their boats by telling them how far they could back down the ramp. Meanwhile a line of 5-6 boats were backed up waiting to launch, but it may have saved our lives. The lightning got closer and we decided to wait it out at the ramp til around 9:00pm. Rain and lightning at the ramp was not that bad, but it appeared that the area north of the landing was getting hammered!! Glad you guys made it in safe.

14. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I'm not one of those gun ho people who will risk their lives to fish. But I felt safer waiting it out than trying to make it back to the ramp.

15. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I went out this afternoon for one last day of fishing for July. I only trolled today and the bite was as expected for an afternoon trip. Six fish in four hours of fishing, with the bite getting better toward sundown. White perch seemed to be preferred over bream heads for once.

I ended the month of July with 78 catfish in nine days of fishing, that compares to 139 catfish in eleven days of fishing in 2006.

16. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I wish I could of gotten out there one more time this month, but I had to put the truck in the shop for some body work. But it sounds like I didnt miss much. Im glad to see that its not just me that hasnt caught as many fish this year as last.