Lake Wylie Fishing Report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Oct 6, 2005.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It sounds like there are a good many Lake Wylie catters here, so I figued I would start a Wylie fishing report thread. I will be fishing tomorrow and chime in with some info on the bite in the rain.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I fish Wylie a little from time to time. We started out crappie fishing it but that turned into channel cat fishing. I generally fish it for bass more than anything else. :D

3. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    I took my neighbor and his 8 yr old son on Tuesday. We power-drifted from Ebeneze toward Joslin Pointe. We only fished 1 1/2 hours and caught 4 ranging from 4 to 5 lbs. We hit one spot out from a pier and had 3 on at one time. I went back by there and caught another and tried another pass but ran out of time.

I was supposed to take my mother, grandmother, and brother this morning but they decided to wait until it was drier. I look forward to hearing how the fishing was today.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The creeks were producing well in the rain yesterday. I boated 11 Channels from 4-7 pounds, all in water from 3-10 feet. Crappie fillets were the bait of choice. It was not off the hook as far as bites, but the size of the cats was really nice. Last week produced similar numbers, but the fish were a lot smaller.

Water temp is continuing to drop; down to 78-80 on the upper lake, except for 93 on the South Frok side. The lake will probably be up a LOT and muddy. The rains have the South Fork out of its bank above the Upper Armstrong Road dam, so that is a sign of some muddy water ahead for the upper lake.

5. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Thanks for starting the Lake Wylie thread WylieCat. I'll be adding my two cents worth on Cats and Crappie this Fall if the wife doesn't keep me too busy.

6. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    I took my mother, grandmother, brother and son out for a couple of hours of trolling between Ebenezer and Joslin Pointe. Bite was slow but we caught 2 5 pounders. My grandmother, 90 years old, caught one of them. Used cut bream for bait.

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    My fishing pardner and I drifted yesterday and found an excellent bite scoring 31 cats--22 of which were channels. The biggest we caught weighed 8 pounds and 12 ounces. The fishing will get better when it gets a little colder. Fish will be putting on the feed bags.

8. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Where were you drifting at Mudkip? That's great results. My son and I fished a crappie tournament Saturday night on Wylie. Results were not good, I think for everyone involved. But we had fun.

9. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    My son and I drifted Big Allison from about 1:30 pm till 4:00 pm. We caught 6 with the largest weighing 7.6 lbs.

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Drifting major creeks on the south end. Start deep and work back shallow until you locate the fish. I caught my best of 2005 today at 10 pounds and 4 ounces. The fish fought as hard as a Blue twice it size.

I am getting some nice crappie shooting docks but no way I can compete with the trollers. Good luck in your tournament quest.

11. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    33 channel cats and 3 bullheads today from 8a to 2:30 pm and we left them biting. Most fish were in the 5 pound range. Our big fish today was just over 6 1/2 pounds. It is a slamming bite--I think I have catfish elbow.