Lake Wylie Discharge Schedule

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tatersalad, May 4, 2006.

1. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Does anyone know where i can find the discharge schedule for the Lake Wylie Hydro station? Thanks in advance.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I don't think they have a "true schedule" just as needed.

3. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    i wasn't sure. my dad and i go trout fishing in Tn at the S. Holston and they post the schedules there, thought maybe they did here too. Thanks for the response.

4. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    The Lake Wylie dam ( as well as most on the Catawba River) operate on an as needed basis (mostly to meet peak demand). No operators work at the dam (only maintenance crews) as the system is run mostly by computer. During certain times the water release can be predicted somewhat. During hot summer days the dam will release to help meet the peak electricity demand that occurs when people get home from work and flip the air conditioners on.

5. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I appreciate the info. I guess I'll just have to fish below the dam enough to start getting a handle on how it works (darn it :big_smile: ).
    I am really happy to see the number of Brothers from the York county area. I'll be out below the dam Saturday evening from about 6-6:30 pm on, any brothers who want to come hang out, come on!

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think I must be the only person who doesn't know how to get to below the dam, but I've been wanting to fish there. Can anybody give me some derections? Thanks.:confused2:

7. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    Take Dam Rd off Hwy 160 (if coming from NC turn rt, if coming from Fort Mill, turn lt). There's a sign for Nivens Creek Boat Landing. Follow Dam Rd past Nivens Creek Boat Landing to Gray Rock Rd on the left. Take Gray Rock Road which will take a sharp turn to the left. You can see the dam at that point. If you stay on Gray Rock Rd you can access a Duke Power maintained boat landing that will turn off to your rt. Most people that fish below the dam continue straight at that Gray Rock Rd bend and park near the fence at the dam (there is a parking area, but most people park next to the road. There's no maintained path to the water but people have made their way down for years. Don't fish from any concrete structure. The CO's will ticket you. Fish from the rocks.

8. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Frostman, I appreciate that.