Lake Wylie catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by SC-SCOUT, Mar 30, 2008.

1. SC-SCOUT

SC-SCOUT New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    ANYBODY KNOW THE TRUE SCOOP ABOUT WHETHER THE SMALLER LAKE WYLIE CATFISH ARE OK FOR THE FRYING PAN? I HAVE HEARD BOTH SIDES, SOME SAY THE FISH ARE OK TO EAT AND SOME SAY NO WAY. ANY COMMENTS?

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Wild catfish and largemouth bass are HIGH in mercury and consumption is advised to be one meal per week and NONE for pregnant women.

Currently no other advisory is in place for Lake Wylie.

You can read more here:
    http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/fish/safefish.html

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I was told last year by a friend that looked into it from the SC side of things, and he said that their response was that the fish from Wylie were among the safest to eat. I would have to agree with what Wyliecat said and keep it to 1 meal per week.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Last I heard, there were no advisories on wylie. The dhec site had none for wylie the last time I read it. Thanks Dieter I'm going to that link right now.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you are eating the 1-2 pounders I would be willing to bet money there is no problem.

On the contrary, there is NO WAY I would eat a 5, 10, or 15 year old fish from any lake, and those are the bigger ones.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I agree with that about the older bigger fish.
    Also back to the dhec thing, they have warnings on a LOT of lakes in south carolina. Lake wylie doesn't have any that I can find. I find that incouraging.
    If dhec had a reason they wouldn't hesitate to slap warinings on wylie.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Kentucky