Lake Wylie Bite Picking Up

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Sep 17, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Things have picked back up on Wylie the past week. This weekend I was able to fish Friday-Sunday and the fishing was hot on the lower to middle lake. The upper river arms were very muddy with lots of logs and limbs from the recent rains. There were a few good fish to be found, but the quantity seems to be in the creeks. The overall lake temperature is down about 10 degrees from what it was ten days ago and it is now in the 77-80 degree range.

I fished the creeks Friday and Sunday, and had 20-25 fish catches both days. The fish seemed to be in, or that is where I caught them, pockets in 28-25 foot water. There were several creeks where I would not get a sniff for several hundred yards and then slam down 2-3 rods within minutes. Maybe those three were just hungry!!! Saturday was a big fish trip to some new water with some big baits. Not as many fish, but I did find a consistent blue bite. Overall I netted 49 fish in the three days.

Size was really impressive on the lower lake Sunday. It has been a few months since I was able to land four 7-8 pound cats and numberous 5-6 pound fish on one trip.

Baits seem to vary from one part of the day to another and from one part of the lake to another. Bream heads work great as always, but the fish seemed to be finicky about the steaks and white perch fillets. One creek they would work and the next they would not. Not real sure what the deal is there, but it pays to have a variety of baits in the water to see what is working.

Overall the dark moon, the cooler weather, and the drop in lake temps seem to all be playing a part in the bite picking up on Wylie.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Great report. Sounds like an great weekend over all for you. The information you provided was very useful and thanks for the report.

3. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's a good report. I must be the only person who hasn't caught a fish on a bream head. I guess I havn't been holden my mouth right.

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I was out there on Sunday also, but cut Shad seemed to work the best for us. We only caught a few on bream. But we to had a 30 fish day, with most in the 4-8lb range.

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Terry, tell me you are kidding!! PLEASE!!! Really? Dang, you are going fishing with me soon!

Cary, I think I know who you were fishing with!! 30 cats is a really good day on Wylie and it sounds like you had a great trip. We were all lucky to have a day with that many cats and that many big fish. It would have made for a close tournament at weigh in!!

6. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yes you do know who I was with. It sure was a great day and I learned alot. Im new to freshwater fishing and am having a great time catchin catfish. And yes it would of been a close tournament. Hopefully Ill get out there on evening this week and definatly Sunday morning.( if the weather is good) I hope to see you out there.

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I went out again this morning in hopes it was going to rain. I went into another creek and was on fish like crazy catching 12 in the first hour. Then after about 1 1/2 hours the sun came out from behind the clouds and within ten minutes the bite STOPPED! It took another two hours to catch five more fish. :crazy:

Amazing what a sudden weather shift can do to make them bite, or stop.

8. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    That sucks that the bite shut down like that. I'm going to try and get out tomorrow evening.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I bet you were hopping to keep up, that was a fast bite.

10. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Fished from 4 till 7:45 with the wife and daughter (2 and a half) she caught her first catfishy. We fished allison creek and caught 5. Then fished Nivens for a few on the way back to the ramp and caught 1 that was 7lbs. All the fish were caught on cut bream.
    Hope to see you guys out there soon...

11. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    A friend and I fished Big and Little Allison's from about 9 til 12 and caught about 5 weighing between 2 and 5 lbs.