Lake Wylie August Reports

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Aug 13, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    August 12th
    I decided to fish in the worst condition possible. The middle of the day, temperatures in them mid 90's, winds from the east, and a rising barometer. Water temps on Wylie are 90-93 degrees.

The bite fit the conditions. I caught eight fish in seven hours. Very slow. Four of the fish came within 50 yards of each other in the back of a creek in around five feet of water.

I tried the main lake, deep holes, flats, humps, creeks, and river arms and all were equally poor. I had bream and white perch, and there was little preference between the two. Lots of water covered and very few fish caught.

Tomorrow may be a different story, but I would be betting on taking a night trip instead of trying the daytime bite right now if you are wanting to fish on Wylie. The lake is 5.3 feet below full pond and as low as it has been in a couple of years. Some boat ramps are dangerously low, so watch the trailer when you back in. Right now South Point access seems to be the best bet.

2. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Come on now Wyliecat, you know when it is hotter they bite better. Next time use ice for bait, they will be ready to ride then. LOL:smile2:

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Dieter, just curious about fish weights. And thanks for the reports.

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Don't worry Terry, I didn't catch eight 20 pounders!!! :smile2: They were average Lake Wylie 3-4 pounders. Just nothing big. Had to be the weather, or barometer, or wind, or moon....I got a lot of excused this week!! :smile2:

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    August 15th
    I headed out with Turfman this morning to try and catch some cats. He cursed my boat and got something on it. No fish while he was there, but when he left I did catch five, so it HAD to be him!! :smile2:

Seriously, it was another bad day on Wylie. Turfman and myself fished some places that had fish, but no takers. We covered deep and shallow water. After I dropped him off I tried several other spots and managed five fish, four of which came on one hump on one pass. After that it slim pickings!! None of the fish were over two pounds.

Water is around 88-90 on the main lake and around 95 on the South Fork. Very little water is flowing into the South Fork and the water has become a medium brown color. No catfish are being marked on the bottom on the lower lake, but there are few showing up on the Catawba. The lake is just in a bad state for fishing during the day right now.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Dieter I don't see how you can handle this heat but glad you didn't have a heat stroke trying to catch some kitties.

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Going out Saturday. I will let you know how I did.

8. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    If I can get the boat off the trailer I might be out there also.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I have adapted to the heat. Lots of water and some Gatorade.

Forgot to metion one thing, and Mudkip told me about this the other day, there are hundreds of dead mussels out of their shells floating in the water. I see them dead on top of the water in their shells every summer, but I have not seen them floating on the water out of their shells. Some places it looked like cotton on the water.

Got a feeling with that much free food around the bite might be off! :wink:

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    You Wylie boys need to come on up to Norman and catch you some hot water fish. We have plenty, water and fish, and you can get in and out by our nice boat ramps. Just bring you some frozen white perch and live bream and your coolers for your catch. I will even tell you a couple of places to fish to help you out. Mac

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Mac, I will be visiting LKN Friday, Saturday, or Sunday...maybe all of them!! I gotta get back in the game! :smile2:

12. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    Sure blame it on me. lol I see how it is when I get in you boat you save all the fish until I leave. I will remember this in the future when you jump into my boat. lol It was very relaxing this morning I really appreciate the invite and would jump in your boat any day. Once again thank you,

eddie

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome to Lake Wylie Turfman. Next time come with me. I won't blame the bite on you.:smile2: I have Dieter's horseshoe in my pocket!!

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Turfmans a cool guy! He knows his fishing. We will have to fish some more, and I do want to take a ride on that SeaArk!

Mudkip, hang on to that horseshoe this weekend on your trips! I would stay away from the upper lake and fish the lower lake. The only reason I did not try to lower lake was because I launched from South Point and I did not want to burn that much gas on a bad bite.

15. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    well hopefully when I left I took all the stink bait off of his boat. lol That might be why he caught fish when I left.

eddie

16. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Planning to hit Crowders and of course LA, then to the big water for some smack down. I HOPE!:wink:

17. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    mac, I promise you I will be back and very soon. That was the most fun I have had in a while. Hopefully I am going to be there monday morning brite and early.

eddie

18. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Turfman, you need to change your photo. Every time I see it with you in your winter garb I get hot, have you not caught any big fish in the spring or summer that you can replace your winter photo with?:smile2:

19. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    thats funny I have tried several times to change it but i dont know how. I actually tried last night. I dont know how in the world I got that one on there.

eddie

20. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    Mac will this picture work for you if not let me know and i have a bigger one i can put on here. lol

eddie