Lake Wylie AM Report for 9-22-09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by martygreen, Sep 22, 2009.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I took a solo trip to Wylie this Am{should have been at Wateree Pre fishing for the Tournament:sad2:}.Anway my intentions were to go out and catch some White Perch for Saturday.I got on the water about 7:15 after stopping at 3 stores trying to find some minnows{no luck anywhere}should have went to Gs right below the house and got some,but I just knew Riverstop would have some,NOT.Anyway started fishing for perch about 7:30 and they wasnt liking the Sabiki rig or the red worms,Caught 1 Perch and 1 Bream in a hour of trying.I said the heck with that and brought out the Drifting Rods and started Catting about 8:30,I was using cut bream and perch on the Lower end of the lake.Water temp was 77-78 degrees and about 5 mph wind.Found a good spot and the Cat Smackin commensed.Ended up with 15 fish{14 Channels and 1 Flathead} in 3 hours of drifting.I had a triple on one time and a double 2 other times,kinda rough on a fellow by himself and with a bad shoulder.The 2 biggest for the day went 7lb 2 oz and 6lb 8oz and they were part of the triple.Shoulder started aching me a bit and I called it a day at 11:30.So it didnt end up too bad of a morning.All fish were released to be caught again:cool2:.Now I still need some Perch.:embarassed:

2. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    A friend of mine that fishes Wylie says the perch there is harder to catch than they are at Wateree. I wouldn't know but after the Wateree tournament i will be getting my NC lic and start fish there some. Next year i want to be more involved in tournament fishn maybe even hitting some of the up'er Wylie chain of waters.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009

3. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Good report Marty thanks!!:cool2:

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Great catch and thanks for the report. 15 cats in 3 hours, bad shoulder and all. You know Big Stuff my friend.:wink:

5. crashman

crashman Guest

Nice day on the lake man! Thanks for the fishing report. I have no idea about those white perch, but we usually load up on bream with those red worms under a bobber at wylie.

6. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Yea bream is no problem catching,those white perch can be tough at times though.Thats ok still ended up being a good trip and came away with another good spot to drift that I had not drifted before:wink:

7. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I know what you are doing at Wylie, you are getting ready for the Carolina Catfish Club tournaments:wink:. Good job on the cats, that's the way you put a smacking on them.

Dean you really need to get those NC fishing license. We fished the Catawba tournament up there last month and had a ball, coming in third helped also. Seriously if you fished up there I think you would really love it. I have fished up there for catfish twice and I am hooked.

8. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Can't believe you went without me:sad2:Well some people have to work you know.Good report.Those would be some nice fish to weigh in on a Teds Hunting and Fishing Touney.

9. crashman

crashman Guest

Oh yeah, definitely sounds like a great trip. Since we dont know how to catch those perch we have no choice but to use the bream!:smile2: Every once in a while we'll come across a lost perch or crappie.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good report!! You are carrying the torch....sore shoulder and all!!! :smile2:

Sounds like a good bite. When you can catch 4+ fish per hour that is a pretty good bite.

11. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    if you live near g's you must live right near me i dont live but about a mile from there. and livin this way if its a choise between wateree or wylie its always gonna be wateree cuz it aint that much father away. well sounds like a good mornin or at least better than i do on wylie.

12. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Yea up here near RHHS,Wylie has some great sized cats in it.Spend some more time out there you will find em.Its hard to beat Wateree for sure but with the numbers of big cats being caught at Wylie its becoming a tough choice on where to go.:wink:

13. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks for the report Marty. Wylie is right around the corner for me, and with the Flathead bite on Wylie sometimes its hard to leave to go to Wateree.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT report, Marty! Sounds like you had your hands full of rods with fishes!!

Bill in SC