Lake Wylie 9-20-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mudkip, Sep 21, 2007.

1. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Got off work a little early this day and had a chance to put in a couple hours fishing on Allison Creek. The wind was just right for drifting 5-10mph out of the NE. I felt a little chill in the air. Guess what---I was unable to catch threadfin shad and that is unsual for me on Lake Wylie. Less than one week ago, I could throw anywhere in 6-10 feet in the back of Allison and get a net full. I think the colder water has them deeper. The shad will be back, I guess when the 90's set in this weekend. Look for bait in the back, it would be a good bet they will be there. Caught one big gizzard shad off a boat ramp and it was off to the races. Caught 7 small-med fish in 2 hours of fishing. The best was a little over 4 pounds. I would say the fish were biting well however because had about 4 other fish on that came off and a good many pull downs. The fish bit at all depths I tried--20-25, 10-15 and even caught 2 fish in less than 10 feet down to 4 feet in the back of the creek. I was drifting cut shad. I think the fall super bite is just around the corner and just in time!!!!:wink:

2. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    mudkip...since having been on greenwood on wednesday and fishing wylie today i was wondering if you notice any difference in the amount of fight in the fish...seems like the greenwood channels are fighting better right now than they have all year.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...seems like the greenwood channels are fighting better right now than they have all year..."

Every fish we caught SLAMMED the rod down! There was not messing around.

"...I was unable to catch threadfin shad and that is unsual for me on Lake Wylie..."

Bad bad bad sign....bad bad.... :wink:

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Oh yeah they sure are.:wink:

A vaccum cleaner has sucked all the predatory fish and the white perch out of the creeks but theres still some shad in the creeks.I had one throw today that had about 20+ lbs of threadfins in it(biggest threadfins I've seen in a while), guestimatin around 700 to 800.I thought Bruce was gone have to help me get them inthe boat.Ended up lettin most of them go and kept enough to fill an 8 lb ice bag slam to the gill.

Man I love this time of year but that warm weather comin back in tommorow is probably gone mess some things up.:sad2:

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good luck with the shad mudkip.

Chris how are you locating these shad or do you have a horseshoe located somewhere in you?

6. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Man I love this time of year but that warm weather comin back in tommorow is probably gone mess some things up.:sad2:

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    There coralled up pretty good in the backs of creeks right now.They are all bunchin up even the big gizzard shad.Wait for a flip and get to it and throw as fast as you can otherwise just keep throwin till you hit the jackpot.

The shad that are out in the open water are scattered and gettin chased but the ones in the creeks are piled up together.Only a few largemouth in there pestering them the other fish (white perch and catfish) seemed to have pulled out since wednesday.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    The fish fought about the same. I think the wide headed males fight hardest in the spring--hormone rage:wink:

Passed by Big Allison on the way to the Clover v Northwestern game.. Threadfin schools all across the water.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I was able to catch a few shad today at a local lake. I caught themin 25 feet of water but after I loaded the boat back on the trailer I could see them in a shallow cove next to the ramp. Also lost a cast net to a tree in 12 foot of water.