Lake Wylie 8-29-09 Tournament Talk

Discussion in 'Catawba Catfish Club' started by martygreen, Aug 15, 2009.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    The Catawba Catfish Club will be having our 8th and next to the last Tournament of the year coming up on August 29th on Lake Wylie.Launch site will be at Buster Boyd Access on Hwy 49 next to T-Bones on The Lake.Tournament hours will be from 6:00 pm-1:00 am.Weigh in will begin at 1:30 am sharp.Buster Boyd Access is a busy place this time of year so all of you are encouraged to get there early if you can.Remember also that Lake Wylie is in NC/SC waters,so if you wanna fish NC waters make sure you have NC license and vice versa for SC waters.If you do not wish to fish in Out of State waters make sure you have a good map or GPS system to refer too and still be careful.Tournament Boundaries will be the whole Lake Wylie area from Lake Wylie Dam on India Hook RD to the Base of Mt. Island Dam and the South Fork River to I85 Bridge.Thats alot of water available for some Trophy Cats.Jeff and I will be there at the landing between 4-4:30 pm to start sign up.We look forward to a good crowd at this event,yall start making your plans to attend now.
    I also wanna mention in this post that the Carolina Catfish Club will be starting their Tournament Series in October.Those of you that are interested in joining and fishing those events can speak with their Leadership at our Tourney and get all the needed info to do so.Just see Dieter Melhorn[Wyliecat}-President and Cary Vandenbroecke{Billfish76}-VP for that info.You can also get info on their page in the Tournament section or on their webite.
    Again We look forward to seeing all of you out for the Wylie Tourney on the 29th.Please feel free to post your comments and predictions on this upcoming Tourney
    I am gonna predict:

38lb-Big Fish:eek:oooh:
    74lb-3 Fish Total Weight:cool2:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Can't wait. My first time for catfishing Wylie.

Big fish 44lbs
    Total weight 67lbs

3. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Marty no more knowledge that i have of the lake, maybe i need to buy a NC lic. befor i fish the place:big_smile: Never been to Buster bridge by land, seen it by water. May fish there one night this week and make up my mind, guess i need to fish a different hole, might change my luck:angry: Monty sure not helping

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  4. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I would:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Im looking forward to it.

Dean to really fish Wylie you need both licenses. If you stay in SC youll be ok cause the ramp is in SC.

I think big fish will be a 30+ FLATHEAD
    and 63 total weight

6. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    For those of you that dont know that are from SC,you can get a Non Resident NC License for $30 a year,theirs run from the day you buy to the same day the next year,not like Sc where they all run out on June 30th,I have never gotten them but I am sure you can probably get a 10 day license as well if thats all you want.You can order them online as well at the NCDNR site and print you a copy of the receipt until the license come in the mail,will save you a trip to NC anyway.:wink:

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Big fish 20lbs
    total 40lbs

8. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    big fish 40. 64 total.I hope i find bowlermans horse shoe :smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Ain't nobody fishn Wylie?????Talk is kinda down! Ya beer watch it, i know some guys tha has been going down there and pre fishn with billfish (master catman on wylie, they say) Even Marty ain't saying much, them guys got something up there sleeve:angry::smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Yea I was hoping the response to Wylie would be a little better this time around,a few guys are not posting that they are gonna be there that I know will be there and there are a few that are not BOC guys that will be there.I hand counted 9 boats that I know will be there.I am sure there will be a few that I dont know of or will be their first time.We will be happy if we have 15 boats or more,that would make quite an interesting Tourney.Hopefully we can reach that and keep building from there.Folks that dont fish dont know what good times and good fishing they will be missing.
    How about you Dean?:tounge_out:You aint said if you coming or not:confused2:Go ahead and give us a yes beside your name:wink:All that experience you got will find you some quality fish.

Yep ole Billfish76 is gonna be one to watch,he only lives about 5 minutes from the landing and fishes about every night,He has probably got a pretty good pattern figured out by now.Too bad the Pontoon cant keep up with the Sea Pro:sad2:
    But until someone takes him down,My moneys is gonna be on Bowlerman,that man is good anywhere:worship:

11. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm still debating:smile2: The pontoon set me back a few yrs in $$$$$$$$$, but i had to have it:eek:oooh: Just trying to make it fishable. Took the Humminbird 300TX off, even though it works fine. I just had a Lowrance LMS 350A that i been saving for my next boat so i had to put that bad boy on. (Makes my boat look better:smile2:) All joking aside i didn't see no use for that $800 fishfinder (even though its probably old school now days) laying around collecting dust any longer. So its on the boat with a few rod holders.............Now somebody needs to buy the Humminbird so i can go fishn:big_smile:

12. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I'll be there, I'm not gonna make any guesses on the winning weight. I've only fished Wylie twice so I'm still learning my way around the lake, I have'nt even began to learn about the catfishing there. I will say this, both times I fished Wylie the fishing was good. Also Wylie has flatheads and I've never cought a flathead so more reason for me to fish it.

13. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    marty, you make me blush, thanks for the kind words , i will be there don't know what boat yet i may trade speed for comfort i ain't decided yet , but if this was a allnighter it would be a no brainer , as for the bite right now i would have to say it is starting to heat up. at first i was going to just target the big blues in wylie but let's say i have caught some real nice fish that weren't blue and they were big :crazy::smile2: so i may be shifting my game plan and swinging for the fences more than usual :big_smile: .I think the winning stringer will have atleast one shovel head in it possibly all three :wink:
    the only thing is as the night gets later, for me the bite has got alot bigger and faster the only problem is when i have been catching the bigger fish is a little to late for this tourney:sad2: but i think the people who fish it will have no problem catching quality fish. it should be a weigh in that will rival wateree . i say this is going to be close i think anyone can win this one. the lake seems to be producing just about everywhere right now it is just going to come down to who boats the big anchor fish . see ya'll there.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think Lake Wylie intimidates a lot of people, but I am not sure why? :sad2: It may be the lack of public information about where to catch big fish, or it may be that the big fish are not caught consistently anywhere on the lake. Not really sure what scares folks away from the lake and the tournaments.

I know Wylie can be feast or famine for big fish during the shorter 6-7 hour tournaments.

If this one was an all nighter, 10-12 hours, then I would bet it would be close with three teams in the running. However, with only a few hours to fish after darkness I think it will come down to the team that parks on top of the big fish and loads the tank.

Someone will park in the right place. :eek:oooh:

The best thing that could happen would be thunderstorms in the 4:00pm - 6:00pm range that would run the skiers and pleasure boaters off the lake. :wink:

The flathead bite is picking up considerably, so this could be a big flathead tournament. :eek:oooh:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  15. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Its the wk end boat traffic that scares folks from that lake. I have a friend that fishes there a lot and catching fish don't seem to be a problem when you can find a place to fish:smile2: I just think that lake would have a better turnout if you fished from 8------till
    On another note everyone will be up against the same thing and if you are going to be a tournament fisherman you need to learn how to work around such things. It gives you a couple hrs to find a hole and maybe even rock a few pleasure boats:smile2::smile2: I got some 4oz lead if any of you guys need any:wink:

Oh yea, Wylie Cat, you want to share some of that public information on were the big cats are holed up???:big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  16. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Jeff and I went on a little Recon mission Sunday evening to Wylie to check out a few spots and to find a few spots.The Boat traffic was actually not too bad around 5:00pm at Buster Boyd Landing,there were many spots available and not a great deal of traffic from there North{oops I didnt mean to say that}I mean the whole Lake.I know Saturdays are busier but really wasnt that bad yesterday.I believe there were more jet skis out that anything.We did see one other Contender out doing some recon work as well,I think we should have stuck around and done some spying on him but we headed back in and called it a night.
    On the fishing side though,cant report a whole lot on what and where but the water was looking great and they were actually some current for about 2 hours before dark[that would be nice Saturday].Right now they are only calling for 84 on Saturday with a 40% chance of storms,it would be nice if one would roll in about 4:00 pm and run some folks off and clear out by 5:30 pm,that would set the stage for a good tourney.:big_smile:
    One thing for sure it felt good to get back on the water after being laid up for 2 weeks with this Rehabbing Shoulder.I couldnt cast very well but I believe I will be able to reel one in if needed:cool2:

17. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    should have hung around . i put another over 40 in the boat , i will give details to you about 1:45 saturday night:smile2: let's just say he was almost what i'm trying to catch but missed it by about 4oz. hopefully he will fatten up by saturday and be waiting for me.especialy since i hooked him in the tail:crazy: i sure would like to catch a 50lb flatthead :wink:

18. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I hear ya Big Daddy:big_smile:That Horseshoe is gonna become dislodged before Saturday:wink:Honestly though,If you did a catch a big un last night,Congrats,that is awesome.Hope you get to that 50lb mark.I would even like to see it Saturday night.Maybe that will help get some of these guys off their couch and out fishing Wylie:cool2:

19. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am ready for this tournament. George and I want some redemption after last weekends Monty tournament. I don't like not being able to weigh in anything. We are swinging for the fence on this tournament and hopefully will hit a home run. Also Bowlerman, great catch the other night. So if you were 4oz shy of what you want to catch the fish must have been 49lb 12oz flattie.:confused2::wink::wink:

20. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    :roll_eyes::wink::wink::crazy: