Lake Wylie 8-29-09 Tournament Results

Discussion in 'Catawba Catfish Club' started by martygreen, Aug 30, 2009.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    The Catawba Catfish Club had our 8th and next to the last Tourney on Saturday night 8-29 on Lake Wylie.11 Boats showed up to test their skills on Wylie.The bite had been good on Wylie for the last couple of weeks with some real trophy fish being caught,as we would all learn on this night the bite had took a bad southward turn,fishing was flat out tough for every competitor,some fish were caught by each team but the trophys were very hard to come by.We had $440 up for grabs in the pot and $110 in the Big Fish Pot.We appreciate evryone coming out and fishing and all the great conversation afterwards,Here is a rundown on how it all unfolded along with a few pics,Congrats to all the placers in the money,that was a hard fought tourney,we look forward to seeing all of you at Wateree next month for our last tourney of the year.

1st-Lindsay Bigham{Bigbird} & Micheal Holmes{Holmes}-25.02 lbs -$220

2nd-Phillip Smith-21.09 lbs-$130

3rd-George Lindsay{George2} & Damon Gibson{DamonG}18.00-$90

4th-Jeff Manning{Bowlerman}&Wayne Lingerfelt{Netman}-17.12

5th-Dieter Melhorn{Wyliecat}& Mark Young-15.07

6th-Dale Sturgis{Stumpgrinder}& Nancy Sturgis-15.05

7th-Cary Vandenbrocke{Billfish 76}& Matt Barrett{1Bluedevil}-15.05

8th-Alex Currence & Adam Robinson-8.10

9th-Marty Green,Jeff Green & Chad Catledge{Big Chad}-8.07

10th-did not weigh

11th-did not weigh

Big Fish Went to Lindsay and Micheal with a 18.14 lb Blue and $110

See yall next month on Wateree,Thanks again

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Great Job guys! congrats on the bigfish. My PB at wylie is 12lbs:smile2: caught while fishn for crappie, so my plans is to check that place out in the comming months and see if i can best that..............It will probably be during the week though

3. Stump Grinder

Stump Grinder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Marty and Jeff for all the work yall put in to this. Once again a great tourney.
    SG

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats to Holmes and Bigbird on their win!! :smile2:

Good job guys!

There were a lot of excellent fishermen in this tournament, and to win is a real accomplishment and something you can be proud of. :wink:

Thanks again Team Green for a well run event and a fun time! Hopefully we will see everyone at the Teds Hunting and Fishing tournament on Lake Wylie September 12th and again on Lake Wateree September 26th for the Catawba Catfish Club tournament. :smile2:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congrats to Homes and Big Bird!! WELL done!!

Bill in SC

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    We had fun last night. The six hour format is a strange deal. It doesnt allow for alot of changes in during the time limit. In six hours there is not a minute available to waste.:crazy:
    We stuck to our game plan. I have been studying my lake maps last week and highlighting them for later. I am psyched about trying out all the spots that i have pre marked on my map in the coming weeks-however Holmes found a spot on the map and we made it our last stop and got the kicker fish.
    I heard about a few big fish getting off at other boats but thankfully we netted all that we hung.
    I think the second place team would have won with most fish caught overall.
    I am ready to try to do it again soon.:big_smile:

7. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Marty and Jeff for another great tournament. I had a lot of fun fishing Wylie. I am already wanting to fish up there again soon.

8. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    yeah what he siad :big_smile:
    had fun and ready to go agin.

9. Stump Grinder

Stump Grinder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Here is a few pictures Nancy took.
    fishing 006.jpg
    Looks like they are setting on some good fish:smile2:
    fishing 007.jpg
    The Green team @ work

fishing 013.jpg
    This is what was in that cooler:big_smile:

Good job guys. Me and Nancy enjoyed the tourney and got to meet a few new people. SG

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    ".....The six hour format is a strange deal. It doesnt allow for alot of changes in during the time limit. In six hours there is not a minute available to waste...."

Six hours flys by when you are not catching fish....LOL...and it creeps by when you have a big one you want to weigh before someone else catches one. :smile2:

I have fished the NCCATS tournaments that run from 7:00pm-8:00am and they are miserably long. Even the Teds events that run from 8:00pm-6:00am are a grind. Ideally, a 6:00pm-3:00am format would be a good amount of time, and get you off the lake in time to get some sleep before the next day. Either way I will continue to fish them whatever the hours are. Right now I am lookinig forward to fall and winter with less recreational / non-fishing boaters, and the daytime tournaments. :wink:

I was really impressed at the level of competition we now have on Lake Wylie. In the years past only a couple of boats had a real shot at winning, now at the events anyone can step up and take home a victory. I believe we can thanks ourselves for being will to share information, take other folks out fishing, and working together to conserve and protect the resource. :big_smile:

11. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks Team Green for a great tourny! Congrats to Holmes and Bigbird on a great win! It was also great to meet some new faces that share the love for the sport of catfishing. Hope to see you all at Wateree.

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    George looks like you and Damon make a great team with that 3rd place finish. See ya guys on the Wateree.

13. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good job Michael and Lindsay! Keep up the good work.:big_smile:

14. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Congrats Holmes and Lindsey on a great win.

15. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Yes it was another good tournament despite the fish not really wanting to cooperate.There was a few good size fish that took the bait according to some,I know one team had one they said over 30 or so break a line near the boat and Bowlerman said he lost one 15+ at the boat,so the Big Fish bite wasnt totally dead.Lake traffic on Wylie plays a big part in these tourneys and we are gonna look into moving the time back on the night time events next year{No not any all nighters}maybe 7-2 or as suggested earlier 8-3,those couple of hours would make a big difference and it would also leave teams enough daylight to get to their first destination and get set up before dark sets in.
    As Dieter said,these tournament are getting more and more competitive each and everytime,info is shared before and after each tourney with competitors,no one is shy about giving up info and what works for them and even spots at times.that is what makes these tournaments special,its all the great folks that fish em.So its not what Jeff and I do to put these things on,its about fishing with and against the best competion in the state,I would put members of our group up against anyone.Thanks again Guys and Gals,yall make em a blast to to have.:big_smile:

16. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    bring that group to santee september 12th carolina catmen there will be a lot of competition and fun for all at the boc dinner hope to see al of you there the roundhill:wink::confused2::tounge_out:

17. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    good job big bird and holmes , the bite was way off from the week before but that's fishing. and congrats to phillip smith for a strong 2nd fishing by himself (send me a number and i will give you a call when i am headed out one night and we will do a little recon together) and george2 and damong you guys are doing good on wylie see ya'll on the water

18. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks Dean and Bowlerman, fishing these tournys with all you guys have sharpened our catfishing skills. I would'nt be scared to say that I'm twice the catfisherman I was before I started fishing with the Catawba Catfish Club. Like Marty said everyone is so willing to help you, all you got to do is ask. I've been catching bait and having a real hard time getting what I need to fish and have a fellow competor show me where to go and do better. I learn something new at every tourny and that always makes me a winner!:wink:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009