Lake Wylie 7.27.08 - 8.2.08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Aug 3, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Overall Bite: FAIR

Things are getting better and the fish seem to be past the spawn and moving back to normal patterns. Males and females are being caught regularly now all over the lake.

Water temps on Lake Wylie have crept up a bit this week with the hotter weather. The main lake is 88-90 degrees and the South Fork River remains around 98. Some cooler water can be found way up both river arms, but even there 84-85 is about as cool as it gets.

Some heavy showers left parts of the river arms muddy and stained from mid week through Saturday, but the areas were isolated and had little widspread impact on fishing. Water releases have been occuring about every 4-6 hours.

Drifting has been effective later in the day with most catches coming on flats adjacent to deeper water. The early bite has been fairly slow, but a few fish can be caught anchored. Night fishing is ok, but not spectacular yet. The cats seem to favor bream, white perch and threadfin shad over gizzard shad right now.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Appreciate the report, Dieter!
    BB in SC

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good report.

Dieter when you talk about drifting flats adjacent to deeper water how deep are these flats? I'm picturing the big flat near the old duck blind. I've drifted all over that thing without catching much. Probably wasn't holding my mouth right.

If my anchores aint in the water the fish just won't bite for me on wylie.

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Wylie_catter, that area is a good area. Obviously, a lot depends on the fish and whether they are biting or not. That area can be feast or famine.

As for, "...If my anchores aint in the water the fish just won't bite for me on wylie...", there may be a little something you are doing that is not making it all come together. On Lake Wylie probably 90% of the fish I catch are caught drifting/trolling. Some days are better than other, but when the bite is on you can not beat it for total numbers.

You need to come out with me on my boat one weekend and see how we do it. Like I said, there are subtle little things that you will pick up that can make the difference between catching a few and catching a lot.

I learned most of my basic drifting skills from Mudkip and then picked up some more tricks from LakeNormanBlues after meeting him at the Carolina Catfish Club. You take all of that and combine it into where you fish, your boat, and your gear to get something that works for you.

Let me know a day you can fish and we will head out and see if we can get you addicted to drifting and trolling like the rest of us!! :wink:

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Same here Terry,I would be glad to show you the way Jeff and myself go about drifting.Wyliecat is right on about the feast or famine part,as you know by fishing some of the Tourneys on Wylie,the bite has been way off on the last 3 that I have fished and it hasnt been just because we were drifting,the bite has ben slow to non exsistant at times,with the anchor bite not being being much if any better,Wylie can produce some big numbers drifting if the bite is on,just like the Carolinas Catfish Club Tourney on Wylie last fall,we caught 34 fish in a 8 hour Tournament and everyone was caught drifting and I know we could have caught many more that day if not for the amount of riding time we put in.Just like any other place though,you may find the anchor bite produces more of the bigger fish which is normally the case for us,but the big ones can be caught drifting,i attribute most of that to being the spots that i anchor in are usually the spots that are not driftable because of brush or blowdowns or some other type of structure thats not favorable to drifting.
    Myself,I would much rather drift than anchor fish,just me but I enjoy it and thats what seems to work best for me and more water is covered by drifting also.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree 100% matter of fact I dont even know if I own anchors anymore I havent seen them in so long.:smile2: I learned how to drift about this time last year and havent quit yet.

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....I agree 100% matter of fact I dont even know if I own anchors anymore I havent seen them in so long...."

I saw a man using some anchors on that Bob Redfern show down on the Pee Dee River!!!! :smile2: Good job by the way!! :wink:

"...you may find the anchor bite produces more of the bigger fish which is normally the case for us,but the big ones can be caught drifting...."

I think big fish can be caught drifitng just as well as anchoring. A fisherman has to make some adjustments in the way he fishes an area and not just make one pass over it and say, "oh well I guess they ain't here." I am learning from some of the hardcore big fish drifters that a single pass through an area does not cut it. They are making several passes through an area that should hold fish, sometimes even from different directions.

If a fisherman was to spend as much time working an area drifting as they spend anchored in it I would bet more big fish would be caught drifting.

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    now your getting the main thing down all it takes is find fish an stay with them they will bite the roundhill says so:smile2::smile2:

9. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I think big fish can be caught drifitng just as well as anchoring. A fisherman has to make some adjustments in the way he fishes an area and not just make one pass over it and say, "oh well I guess they ain't here." I am learning from some of the hardcore big fish drifters that a single pass through an area does not cut it. They are making several passes through an area that should hold fish, sometimes even from different directions.

If a fisherman was to spend as much time working an area drifting as they spend anchored in it I would bet more big fish would be caught drifting.[/quote]I agree 100% Dieter,that is basically the point I was trying to make myself.