Lake Wylie 7.15.08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by turkyhunt, Jul 16, 2008.

1. turkyhunt

turkyhunt New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fished Wylie Tuesday evening starting around 7:00pm. Caught 18 channels. largest was 4lb on cut bream in 7-8ft of water. Most came off of catlapa worms. Bite was slow until around 8:30pm then it picked up until about 10:00 and just quit.

2. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    18 is a good bit. What part of the lake were you in?

3. turkyhunt

turkyhunt New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ebenezer

4. turkyhunt

turkyhunt New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have mainly just anchored and fished for cats on Wylie with shrimp and catlapa worms when I can get them. What other types of bait and areas would you suggest if I wanted to fish for larger cats?

I got the fever for a big-un!

5. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm sure some of the more experienced guys can give you better ideas, but from what I've read, cut bait (bream), threadfin shad, perch (which are supposed to be biting now and I'm gonna see if I can get some tomorrow) and other baitfish are what folks seem to catch the big ones on. Over the years (mainly at Monticello), I've used catalpa worms, chicken livers, Doc's bait, and more stuff that I can list, which have given me all the small ones I can handle, but for the big ones most people in the BOC list the diff. types of live bait above. Good luck and keep postin'. I can use all the help I can get!

6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    White Perch and Bream seem to be the hot ticket right now,some have been catching some on live Bream but mostly cut and either the filet off of white perch or the head,Cut Threadfin Shad still seems to be the best for me personally and Herring will also work,I just havent used any lately as shad and perch have been so easy to get