Lake Wylie 5.12.07

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, May 13, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fished on Wylie in the morning and evening on Saturday. I ran into Billfish out on the water Saturday morning and we trolled and drifted some of the same areas.

The water was around 75 on the Catawba and 85-88 on the South Fork that morning. The drift bite on the Catawba was not what it was earlier this week, and I did not catch any cats over five pounds. The South Fork was not much better. Rounded up a few, but they were 2-3 pound fish. I finished the morning trip with 12 fish.

Judging from the water temps and the past fishing logs I would say the bigger breeding fish are on or near the beds and in spawning mode on the Catawba. The warmer days are keeping the water temps consistently in the mid 70's. The Catawba should have had a better bite considering how much water was flowing, but it was just not there.

Billfish and I teamed up Saturday evening to try out some new places and it was a long evening. Some places never produced a bite, while others produced bites and not fish. We ended the night with only TWO fish in SIX hours of fishing. Good thing it was not a tournament night on Wylie!! :eek:oooh:

The highlight of the night was a two pound blue I caught on a 4" bream!! I am surprised that little fella did not choke!! :lol:

2. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I think that Dieter summed up our trip pretty well. I caught around 10 fish in the morning. One of them being a 16lb flathead. (my new personal best). I went out this afternoon and fished on the southern side and caught 8 in 2 hours. They were all over 4lbs and we lost the biggest at the boat.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the flattie. You are due for a big blue. Keep on trying and you will get the big one.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Rodger YOU are due for a big flathead on Wylie!!

Be sure to call me when you hook that 54 pounder! :lol:

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I am making the necessary preps now to seek out Mr. Flathead. I am going to catch my first Wylie flattie this year!:lol: