Lake Wylie 4.27.07 / New Personal Best

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Apr 28, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    A few of us fished Lake Wylie on Friday night and into Saturday morning. The weather was clear and the temps were in the 70's at dark and fell into the mid 50's by dawn. Water temps ranged from 65 on the main lake to 75 in the South Fork River.

I was fishing with Mudkip, and we planned to catch a few good channels and then focus on some big blues. Well, the plan all went to crap in a hurry. We started off with a bang and I landed a 30 pound flathead an hour into it! It was a personal best flathead for me. Not a bad way to start off the evening.

After that it kinda went downhill. We could not find a channel bite and only caught three more. No blues were to be found. Some of the other guys out on the water managed to find some nice channels in the 6-7 pound range with an eight pounder thrown in the mix. It looks like we chose the wrong end of the lake for big channels, but the right end for a big flathead.

We hit the same spots where we caught the big blues last month, but they were not there. One good hit and pull down, but whatever it was came off near the boat. Heartbreaking.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    At least you caught a nice flattie.

Congrats on a new PB Dieter.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on your new PB flathead, way to go

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if i had a choice between 1000 5 lb.channels and catching 1 30 lb.flaty id take the flatty every time.congrats on the pb.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats.So did you like the way the flathead pulled?

6. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Might not found what you went after, but at least you have another personal best to add... congrats!

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Chris, it did not do anything that any other flathead I have caught has done. I thought for sure I had a blue. She did scream off some drag, and she put a good bend in that ol' Tiger rod. She even started rolling like a blue. Other flatheads usually have this burst of speed near the boat, but this one came in kinda civil like!! :big_smile:

I wish I could learn how to catch them consistently. They are an awesome fish. :lol:

8. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I fished the southfork most of the night, and like you said I think I was on the wrong end of the lake. I caught 12 or 13 fish but they were all dern little ones. In my opinion every year around this time the south fork gets to hot to easily catch fish. I know that they're still there but the bite starts to really slow down. I probably wont be heading up that way much more this summer. It's all yours Deiter! I think I was just getting in your way anyhow lol. And Congratulations on the big Flat Head. It was a pretty fish.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the new PB flathead. I would like to learn more about consistantly catching them as well. Just can't seem to stay away from the blues long enough.

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Very good read on the South Fork Wylicatter! I think the same thing. My fishing logs show that the big channel bite starts to fall off when it gets into the 70's on the South Fork. I think they are spawning.

If we had not had the flathead you would have easily had more fish than we did. We caught four fish all night. Luck, again, was on our side.

11. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Don't count out the Fork yet. I have seen them taken in July. If you want a biggun, the river arms are the best choices year round.

Switching gears to get a channel is more consistent and easy but in a catfish tournament the big fish rules the day, esp when it is a 3 fish or 1 fish deal! Learned that from getting schooled by the Colonel year after year.