Lake Wylie 3.30.08 - 3.05.08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Apr 8, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Overall the bite on Lake Wylie was good this week.

Water temps at the beginning of the week were around 3-5 degrees higher than at the end of the week. Rains at the end of the week left part of the upper lake and creeks stained or muddy.

The week started out really well with catches of 20-25 fish, but as the week moved on the weather change took its toll on the catch by the weekend. The significant water temperature drop, and the change in water condition and clarity played a part in the bite slowing down. By the end of the week lake temperatures were around 58-59 degrees with the South Fork 68-70 degrees.

The warmer daytime temps and higher overnight temps this week should raise the lake temps another 3-5 degrees by the weekend.

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Just got back from Wylie myself and Wyliecats report is right on key again,I really just went out to check one of my depthfinders,had a problem with it last time I was out and was just making sure it was right again,I got on the water about 10 and rode around a bit and decided to go ahead and drag a few lines on a drift,I only took some frozen shad with me,didnt wanna try to catch any bait for the little time i was gonna be out,so i put out 4 lines and started,wind was tough to start for the 1st hour or so and it finally started to lay down and i started to pick up a few fish in the next 1 1/2 hours,eneded up with 7 channels,biggest going about 6lbs,had several other good bites and 2 that came off on the way to the boat for some reason,one of which felt like the biggest of the day,I fished up in Big Allison,all the fish were caught in 25-30 ft of water,tried drifting the shallower water but the bites came to halt when i did that,water temp was holding at 59 and the color was good,not muddy at all in Big Allison,the fish I caught were on the smaller Threadfins,they didnt seem to care for the bigger pieces of gizzard shad,called it a day at 1:30 to get back for something I had to do,not a bad 2 1/2 hours fishing with frozen bait,prooly try em again Tommorow or Thursday with some fresh bait,wind is supposed to lay down some,so it should even be better:wink:

3. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Those are both well written reports, thanks.

4. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    thanks for the reports guys keep em coming

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the report Wyliecat.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I was out on Wylie today and there was a LOT of debris in the lake. It appears they have moved a lot of water through the lake and dropped the level about 6"-8" and this apparently brought a lot of this stuff out.

If you are fishing the tournament Friday night or this weekend keep your eyes open on the the upper end of the lake. The high winds on Friday should help move most of the stuff to the banks.

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I was back out on Wylie myself this evening,took a couple of guys I work with out for a little Channel Cat action,fished Big Allison again till dark and rolled back in.The water in Big Ally is still good color,66 degrees,up 7 degrees fromTeusady when i was out,the bite wasnt quiet as good as it was Teusday,but not bad for a few hours fishing,the bite is prolly a little better up lake.Also had an abundance of water lice and disrespectful idiots on the lower end also,just reminded of the main reason I hardly ever fish Wylie from Spring to Fall.