Lake Wylie 3-21-09 Tournament Pre-Talk

Discussion in 'Catawba Catfish Club' started by martygreen, Mar 15, 2009.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    The Catawba Catfish Club will be having our 3rd Tourney of the year on 3-21-09 on Lake Wylie,Launch site will be at Buster Boyd Access,Tourney time will be from 7:00am-3:00pm with weigh in beginning at 3:30 pm.
    Unfortunatly there will be a Green Carp[Bass} Tourney out of the same landing that morning,it will be pretty congested,but should not be a big problem,this tourney was not scheduled that I know of when ours was made up.We are gonna get there early and put the boat in the water and are gonna be in the area of T-Bones on the Lakes dock area to sign folks up,it should be fairly uncongested in the that area of the Access area.
    There have been some great size Blues and Flatheads caught in Wylie in the past few weeks and years and it is quickly becoming a Trophy Catfish go to Lake.
    There will also be another Tourney that night hosted by a Local Group from Clover,SC,they run a good series and all theirs are based on Wylie.The hours for it will be from 6:00pm-1:00am and it will be a Channel Cat only event.Lake Wylie has some Bruiser Channels in it as well and their tourneys are always pretty close,It is an Open Tourney and anyone can fish in it.
    Several of us are planning on fishing both events,Yall come on out and help support Lake Wylie and help get the word out as a go to destination for Big Cats.
    Just one other note for those of you that dont know,South Carolina has no reciprocal agreement with North Carolina on Fishing Liscense,so if you fish in the NC section of the Lake make sure you have your NC liscense.Buster Boyd Access is in South Carolina,just know your Boundaries when fishin the upper part of the lake.

Now lets here who all is planning on attending from the BOC and what your predictions are.Look foward to seeing all of you Saturday:wink:,

2. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Ill be there. As for a prediction, well have to see what the rain did to the water. After not catching a big fish at Satnee this past weekend Im looking to get one at Wylie.

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Jeff and Marty unfortunatly I'm not gonna be able to fish yalls tourney. There's just to many factors for me that morning. But ill be there for the evening event.

My morning prediction is 85 lbs with a 38 lb big fish.

My evening prediction is 21 lbs with a 9 lb big fish.

Everybody who fishes in the morning ought to fish the evening too. You'll find plenty of channels all morning long. There everywhere. Then just head back in the evening and catch some more. You'll be in the running. The weighins come down to ounces a lot of times. Three fish equalling 9 lbs has won the money on a bad night.

4. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Marty unfortunately cant fish that weekend due to schedule conflict. My daughter has high school play wed-sun.
    Wish all good luck and remember to be safe.....

5. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    New to tournament fishing but looking forward to fishing this one and meeting all of you catfish98054 will be joining me.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    ".......My morning prediction is 85 lbs with a 38 lb big fish.

My evening prediction is 21 lbs with a 9 lb big fish....."

Dang Wylie Catter!!!!! 85 pounds!!!!!! Dang!!!!! Setting the bar HIGH!!! :crazy:

21 pounds for three channels is a good stringer too!! You must be on 'em!!! :eek:oooh:

7. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey, everybody sees that fish your holding in your avatar.:eek:oooh::smile2:

Three of those would be more than 85 lbs.:wink:

You know me, I'll be lucky to catch one.

8. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    He cant catch no fish Terry:wink:,I just spent 3 days fishing with him:smile2::smile2::smile2:,if we would have had 3 like that we would be Cabelas Champs right now:crazy::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

Seriously though,my money would be on Wyliecat or billfish76 for the first one,the 2nd one will be wide open for anyone to pull it off.:cool2:I am gonna stay conservative and say:

1st Tourney-53lbs and Big Fish of 24lbs
    2nd Tourney-19.5 lbs and Big Fish of 7.8lbs

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I dont know Marty, Ive spent more time this year at Wateree than I have on Wylie. I think that anyone in the right place can win it. At the CCC event I just got tired of running in the fog and stoped. Others were right above and below me, we just sat in the right spot.

10. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i hate to say it but i am going to miss this one myself ,
    first tourney 47lb big fish 26
    second tourney 23lb big fish 9lb 9oz
    went last week caught 6 channels biggest 10lb 8 so the big channels were hitting

good luck guys i realy hate to miss this one but i will be working in beaufort sc friday - mon stay safe and make me proud

11. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I'll say first tournament 51.5 and big fish of 24 lb.second tournament 18 lbs with a big fish of 8.5 .

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I just looked at the weather and we will have some warm weather early in the week and then a big drop in daytime temps. Add in the rain, rising water, mud, then falling water, it just spells trouble.

Furthermore, the channel bite has fallen off at dark, so finding some good ones may be tough at night.

So, here is my guess:

Catawba Catfish Club Event
    Winning Weight: 42 pounds
    Big Fish: 30 pounds (flathead)

Teds Hunting and Fishing Event
    Winning Weight: 16 pounds
    Big Fish: 7 pounds

13. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I don't know much about Lake Wylie, only fishing i have done there has been crappie and that was quite a few years back, before that spill they had. Just never went back. I would like to get up there sense its not far from the house but i would also hate to get caught on the N.C. side. I guess i will have to get a map and do a little scouting before i fish a tourny. See ya guys at the next one.:tounge_out: By the way i didn't even know Wylie had any Flatheads, another good reason to fish there. Good Luck Team Green

14. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Come on out Dean,there is plenty of fish to be had in SC waters if you dont have NC fishing license.

15. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I heard today that there's been more calls to Teds about this tourney than any before.

16. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yep what he said.
    I haven't bought mine yet.

17. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Hopfully Ted and Talbert will come out and fish with us for the first tourney, since almost everyone is going to fish his after. Looking to be a good season with some new faces.

18. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Sounds good,I would like to see the crowd get better for Teds Tourneys,its a pretty good time and always close with just the Channels being weighed.Anyone can win these on any given night.

19. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Were does the nc line start? I'd get in trouble fast:smile2: My wife is from N.C. and there are some waters up that way i would love to fish so N.C papers may be in the works. We will be celebrating my birthday this wk end and even though i would rather be on the water..............well, women seem to look at things a little different, so in guess to stay out of the dog house, i may have to miss this one. Looks like the weather sure will be much better this go round. Can't wait to see the outcome. Good luck guys

20. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    So, here is my guess:

Catawba Catfish Club Event
    Winning Weight: 42 pounds WRONG!!
    Big Fish: 30 pounds (flathead) WRONG!!

Teds Hunting and Fishing Event
    Winning Weight: 16 pounds WRONG!!
    Big Fish: 7 pounds RIGHT!!

Ok, I had one out of four correct.....LOL!!! :smile2:

If Cary and Matt would have caught a 30 pound flathead that moring I would been really close to three out of four!! :eek:oooh: