Lake Wylie 20lbers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wylie catter, Jan 2, 2007.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I ran into a guy this evening who fishes wylie a lot and he said look in the back of the boat. He had a 24 lb blue and a couple others around 5 to 10 on a stringer. I think they were all blues from what I could see. He said he had caught several over 20lbs in the last few weeks. I just thought that was worth posting, it's pretty dern impressive for wylie. For all you local tournement guys who might know him it was "Arnold". He knows something I don't I guess.

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Now is a good time to target the blue catfish in Wylie. I release the Blues I catch in Wylie because they have not taken a good hold yet but when they do we will have one excellent fishery for big cats. Wylie is packed with bait just like Wateree. I have caught quite a few blues in the low to mid teens and my largest was 26 but they are definately going to do well in this lake.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Glad to hear Arnold is on some. We just need to get him to let them bigger ones go!!

Wylie has got them. The trick is finding them in the summer. They are around failry well in the winter, but the UFO's come and suck them out of the water in the spring!!

4. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Do u catch the blues more on the south end of the lake during winter because i fished a good bit this summer and caught alot of channels but the blues escaped me.

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    What are you guys using for bait??? Cut bream, big shad, or what???

Im looking to give this a try this weekend and any advice would be great.

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Perch, crappie, big shad, blue gill in that order. Unless you talk with Deiter, and he has a very short list that begins and ends with bream heads which are not a bad bait at all considering he did catch a 55 pounder.

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    :big_smile: You funny Mudkip!!

Bream heads are my favorite in the spring/summer/fall, but for some reason I do better on other baits in the winter. :roll_eyes: No idea why. Striper meat is my favorite in the winter when I can get it, and crappie work well. White perch will get 'em, but for me it seems to be hit or miss. It is either all they want or they don't touch it. I can catch them on big shad, but they have to be the really big gizzard shad that you can cut nice bloody chunklets off of.

Ideally you want to have several baits on board and see what they are after, otherwise you have to fish with one bait and find the fish that want that bait.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    hum...Striper meat? Where would you ever get an idea like that?

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    The other day...I was talking to a man...and he told me to try it.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Nice article! Sounds like a great place to go fish!

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Tommy

Thanks for posting the article. It is the first time I saw it and it is accurate. Wateree and Wylie are going to make us some happy anglers for years to come. Good luck to all who come to enjoy fishing Wateree and Wylie. Catch a biggun and remember to bring along a camera to get a photo. I always encourage release of trophy cats but that is a personal decision for the individual. Catfish make excellent eating-undeniable.

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Mudkip is a great angler. He has forgotten more than I know about catfish, and taught me most of that!! :lol:

Glad to see the article. Now all of his secrets are out...well, not all. :eek:oooh:

14. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    congrats rodger on the article,wateree is a great place for the blues,and alot more people are finding that out,i also caught my personal best there 2years ago,it was 53 pounds,my avatar pic,caught it up in the upper end also in the river,i caught mine in may,and at night,we have also boated many from 15 to 30 pounds a great fishery that keeps getting better,congrats again

15. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good job on the article Mudkip. Very informative.