Lake Wylie 2.9.06

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Feb 9, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fished Lake Wylie on Thursday looking for some white perch for the tournament on Saturday on Lake Greenwood.

Like earlier in the week the white perch were there, but they were in a very narrow depth range where they were biting good. I could catch one or two outside that range, but to get them frenzied it had to be in that range.

Of course that exact depth range is a secret, and I can not tell anyone. :wink:

Seriously, it was 18 feet Thursday, but it is only a secret the day they are there. Today it could be 18 feet or it might be 22 feet. Some days it does not matter that much, but Thursday it was very critical.

So critical was the depth, there was another boat that pulled up and talked with me from 50 yards or so away and he was trying to catch the perch and only caught one or two, meanwhile I limited out in about 45 minutes. He asked me what I as doing, about the bait, and asked what he was doing wrong. I asked him how deep he was and he said 23 feet. I told him to move over behind me and that was the ticket!

No catfishing on Thursday. Strictly a white perch day. I ended up with a total of 76 white perch and they came off two different spots, one in SC and one in NC. About 15 of them were in the 1-1 1/4 pound range, and they met the fillet knife and the the freezer. The rest were vacuumed sealed for later catfish trips this season.

As for the tournament, well, if you check the time stamp on this post you will see that weigh-in is in about 20 minutes. The wife had oral surgery Friday and was a little too optomistic on how she would be feeling Friday evening and Saturday morning. So, I decided at the last minute to stay home and take baby duty...and I hear someone crying. :wink:

2. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    Funny, my wife had oral surgery (4 wisdom teeth) on Friday and I'm on daddy duty today too. My trailer is under repair, so the pontoon hasn't seen the water in a while. Glad you caught some fish and thanks for the Wylie report (I live not too far from Eb. Park).

Have a good weekend folks!

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Dont feel too bad Dieter we were at the touney this mourning and tried to put the pontoon in and either the shift cable broke or something in the shift box failed. We weren't able to get the boat of the trailer and had to call it a day. Oh well maybe next time.

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Droptine77, so your the one. I heard someone broke down at launch. Thats gotta suck!! :angry:

Dumpysinclair, hollar at me if you see me out there on Wylie!!

5. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Good thing Gary was undestanding.

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Man, that really sucks, Greg :sad2: You'll get'em next time :big_smile:

7. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Dieter I guess you were using a sabiki rig right? I bought 3 of those things in different sizes and have yet to catch anything on them. I've tipped them with little pcs of worms most of the time.

How do you find white perch? Do they show up as arches or just clouds?
    And the 18' for example, was that 18' to the bottom or were they suspended?

I figured I'd pick your brain while we were on the subject of perch.:wink:

8. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Droptine,i heard about your problem,me and my brother Jeff were there,i guess we had already left the launch when that happened ,hate I missed meeting you,hope ya get her fixed soon:wink:

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Dieter I guess you were using a sabiki rig right?..."

It was a homemade three hook rig. Small #6 gold crappie hooks. If they get frenzied enough they will bite the bare gold hooks!! I usually use a three hook rig. I use the store bought Sabikis once they frenzied, but it does help to "sweeten" them up with redworm or skin from striper bellies.

"...How do you find white perch?..."

I ride around looking for arches near points and humps. Sometimes it is hard to find the arches when you are running your big motor because it seems to scare them away, so you are better off with the trolling motor. I have rolled over areas with the big motor and not seen too much, but then they show up well once I am over them with the trolling motor.

Shallower humps and points near deep channels are usually good this time of year because that is where the bait schools are. Once it warms up you can find them further away from deep water on points.

"...Do they show up as arches or just clouds?..."

They show up as arches. If they are schoold up good it looks like spaghetti on the bottom. Multiple arches all over each other.

"...And the 18' for example, was that 18' to the bottom or were they suspended?..."

All of the white perch I catch are ON THE BOTTOM. As a matter of fact, sometime it is only the bottom hooks on the rig that get hit. I do catch them at night suspended, but that is usually around lights in the summer.

Speed is not as critical as with catfish. Perch are more like striper, so that means you can drag those baits around pretty fast. Another note, my baits HAVE TO BE MOVING to get hit. Rarely am I able to stop the boat over a school and catch them. Even if I have to troll in circles or figure eights, keeping the bait moving is important.

Be sure to keep one of those buoy markers handy. GPS is great, but nothing is as precise as those good old fashioned buoy markers. :wink:

If you have a free day next week PM me and we can go catch some!! :big_smile:

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the info Dieter. I keep catching small channel cats and white perch on my sabiki rigs.

11. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's a great post full of answers. I'll send you a pm.

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Got it! Be sure to bring a cooler in case we get on them!! :wink:

13. bioguy

bioguy Member

State:
    SC
    congrats on a great day...did you happen to notice any water temps? were there any crappie mixed in with the perch?

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Water temps today were 57 on the main lake and there were no crappie caught, but they could be in there.