Lake Wylie 2.4.08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Feb 4, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fished Lake Wylie today from 10:00am-3:00pm. Skies were cloudy with air temps in the 50’s and water temps around 54 degrees.

The cat bite was decent with several nice channel cats in the 6-7 pound range caught. All came shallower than last week, this time in around 18 feet of water. The white perch bite was awesome in the same area and I caught 8-10 that went around one pound. Those made it to the fillet table. Another 15 or so made it to the bait tank! :wink:

Around noon the winds shifted and the bite came to an end.

From there I tried the South Fork and found water temps in the lower 60’s. Bait was hard to find on the graph, so I would assume the bait was in the backs of the coves or against the bank. No fish were caught in the South Fork River in any of the places I fished. The upper Catawba also left me empty handed.

This was the first time I have been able to launch out of South Point access area in several months. It had been closed due to the drought.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Dieter, & think that our wierd weather has definitely gotten the fish off of their normal patterns. It's been difficult trying to get a fix on'em; one day they're deep, the next they're in the shallows, and some days you can't find'em at all :eek:oooh:

3. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    thanks for the report dieter

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...think that our wierd weather has definitely gotten the fish off of their normal patterns..."

I do know this; the air and water temperature swings mean you have to stay on top of where the bait is moving to. One day they can be 30 feet deep in main channels, and if we get some warm weather they could move much shallower very quickly.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the heads up Dieter.