Lake Wylie 12.28.08 - 1.03.09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 5, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Overall Bite: GOOD

Well, just when I thought things were going to slow to the usual January crawl on Lake Wylie, the oldest of the Catawba chain of lakes surprised me with an excellent bite this past week.

Water conditions on Lake Wylie are good right now. The clarity is as good as it gets on the lake, and temperatures are 49-51 degrees throughout the lake with some 45-47 degree temps far up in the rivers.

The South Fork River is not its traditional 10 degrees warmer this week. Power production at Plant Allen has been shut down for some reason. It appeared Sunday that the stacks are again smoking, so there will probably be hot water in the South Fork River this week..

The bite has been as good as it gets in the winter on Lake Wylie with catches of 15-20 catfish possible. The fish are in and around deep water and anchoring or very slow drifting will produce fish. You will have to cover some water to find fish since they seem to be following bait, but once you find a productive area you can work it a good while.

2. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thanks for the info! I am gonna have to get up there and try Wylie some time. Does it still require both NC and SC fishing licenses? Great post!!

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....Does it still require both NC and SC fishing licenses? Great post!!..."

Lake Wylie can be tricky. The extreme lower lake is entirely in SC, the exteme norther half is in NC, and the middle section if divided down the middle with the wester half being in SC.

So, you can get by with just an SC license on the lower end and western side of the lake up to Catawba Creek. Just be aware of where you are fishing.

The good news is that there are PLENTY of fish and some whoppers on the SC side!!