Lake Wylie 12-22

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BigBird, Dec 22, 2009.

1. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Holmes and i went to Lake Wylie today. We were joined by my oldest son Brice. Our intent was to do some meat fishing and to scope out some new spots.
    Bait was real hard to come by today. Got there about 9 and didnt start fishing until around 11. The bait ended up being cut greenbacks and channel cats.
    We caught 15 fish with the largest at 20lbs.He was short like a football with a huge belly. I am attaching Brice with the big fish of the day. We had a couple of doubles today. The fish seemed to be moving in schools. We anchored all day. Most were all blues that bit greenbacks and caught a couple channels on cut channel cat.
    When they cut off the water so did the bite!
    We found a new spot that produced real well today and the contour and the depth of the spot was not recorded properly on the contour map-a nice find for sure!:wink:
    It is off to MIL tomorrow. One of my coworkers wants me to teach him to drift. I am ready to roll now but need a little shut eye!:tounge_out:

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like y'all had fun! Always nice to find a "new" spot to mark on the GPS. Good luck at MIL!!

BB in SC

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good report! Nice seeing you guys out there yesterday. Always nice to see some other experienced anglers out catching cats on Lake Wylie.

The bite was pretty good yesterday, especially for the smaller fish. Water was moving a good part of the day coming in from MIL, and there was slight current all day from water going out the India Hook dam. No whoppers for me yesterday, but a lot of smaller fish hitting, and plenty enough for a catfish dinner tonight!!!

They dropped Lake Norman about four inches over the past two days, and that is a LOT of water being moved out of that lake. That means a LOT of water in MIL, thus, a lot being dumped out into Lake Wylie. MIL is still around 18" above its target elevation, so I suspect they will dump more out today ahead of the rain Wednesday night and Thursday. That should make for a good bite on MIL and Lake Wylie today and tomorrow.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Put some stitches on that fish and it would look like a football. That guy has had the feed on. Thanks!!

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I'll hit MIL sometime this week. Hopefully things will transpire well.

6. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Sounds like you guys are haveing lots of fun on Wylie I would like to say congrats to WylieCat on the big 54lb Blue Cat he caught on Lake Wylie on
    Dec 19-2009 I saw the photo in the Gaston Gazette it's good to know that big fish is still swimming in the lake good job your buddy Ace.

:big_smile_2::big_smile_2::big_smile_2:

7. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    we caught one in wateree that weighted 13lbs it was so short it shouldnt have weighted 10lbs looked like a foot ball

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...I would like to say congrats to WylieCat..."

Thanks Ace!

Been keeping an eye out for you Wylie, but have not seen you in a long while. You gonna be out on the lake this winter?