Lake Wylie 10-21-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mudkip, Oct 21, 2007.

1. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Fished Wylie today and it was a great day to fish. The fish were not taking well early this morning but they switched to high gear around 10am. Caught 22 catfish in 3 hours of fishing from 10-around 1245pm. In the first hours early, I could only manage 7 channels and they were very average 2-3 pounders. If you fish channels you know when they are pecking at it and when they really slam it. It was like turning on a light switch at around 10 in the morning I got a couple slammers followed up by a couple doubles of fish in the 4-6 pound range. Some of the fish were dark around the mouth and head like in the spring. These were quality size fish and real fighters. The best fish of the day weighed right at 7 1/2 pounds. The best depth seemed right at 18 feet although I did get some deeper and a few in shallow water. Bream was overwhelming as the best bait. If you want to get a cooler full of eating sized channel cats now is the time.

2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Congrats on a good day. I'm starting to see that alot of you "professional" catmen fish mostly during the day. Hmmmm something you guys know that the rest of us, I mean me, don't know?:eek:oooh:

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks Greg. The fish are tearing it up and will do so until the first real big cold snap. Feed bags are on. I fish both day and night. I admit my night fishing is mostly in the summer. I think it is a heck of a lot easier to fish during the day and cats will bite. The night bite is good, without a doubt but I just prefer to fish during the day, esp in the winter. The heat and rec boaters will force me to do some night fishing in the summer. I have found that channel cats bite very well in the summer day time (if you can stand the heat) and at night.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Way to go, Rodger - 22 fish is an excellent day in my book!!!!

5. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Good trip Roger alot of action in a 3hr period.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'd love to be fishing wylie but that one and only landing is too far for me to drive. Plus I've never been on that part of the lake. But I'm glad your catchin them. Enjoy it.