Lake Wohlford Catfishing

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by loanguybri, Jun 18, 2007.

1. loanguybri

loanguybri New Member

State:
    California
    Hello All, Just wanted to share about our outing on Saturday. We got a couple of 1-2 pounders in the big cove opposite side of the lake from the boat dock. Got 'em on a nightcrawler dipped in Catmando dip with a #6 bait holder hook and two medium sized split shot about 14 inches from the hook, one on 12# line, the other on 25# line. We tried fresh mackeral, cured mackeral, dead shiners, shiners injected with garlic-infused corn oil, shrimp, marshmellows, Berkely catfish nuggets(chicken liver flavor), nightcrawlers, bacon, stinkbait and Catmando dip. We had a boat and tied up to the bouy line nearest the dam, tried "boat dock cove", tried the big cove(think its Oakvale) on the other side of lake. Water level is at its lowest point and is warming up quick. We saw all kinds of bass boiling all around us(enough to piss a guy off!), but we didn't get after them though. Catfish is all we had on our minds!! Going to Santa Ana River Lakes next saturday, will keep you posted.

2. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    good post brian

dosnt mean much to me considering i was there watching you catch everything, but at least people have an idea of whats going on out there and what if any thing is working. i cant wait to get into some cats man. a whole lot of time invested with no return (man i have never been skunked this many time in a row). Santa anna river lakes should be more productive for us.

drews

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    glen helen and prado have been good to me so far, never left without a fish or bite, but i know thats kinda far for you but just letting you know

4. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    When you guys get to santa ana go to the bubble hole and give it a shot there. Got to get there early as many like that spot. Take some whole shrimp with the heads still on. Peel the shells off and put half a shrimp on your hook. shoot it out there about forty yards or so and wait it out. The bite is sometimes very slight so use an indicator on your line. They bite so soft sometimes that your bells wont ring. when your indicator rises set the hook. they also die for the marshmellow and meal worm with hog wild on it. The red mealies work best...

Good luck

Corey

5. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    Hey Let me know when you are going down there.. I might sneak out again this weekend and do some fishing...

Corey

6. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    But I heard it might be worth the drive. Im really hopin to fish the blyth channels drainage areas but I havent been there either. Im plannin a trip though, anybody have any suggestions?

7. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Take plenty of sun block.:smile2:
    Strait up though ask Blue Hunter about those canals around Blythe/Palo Verde. He's got knowledge and does pretty well fishing them.

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Take plenty of sun block SPF 2000.:smile2:
    ASk Bluehunter about those canals around Blythe/Palo verde.
    He does really well fishing them.