Lake with LOTS of Timber!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BoxxerBoyDrew, Jun 4, 2008.

1. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Hey Everyone,

On Lake Waco there is ALOT OF TIMBER EVERYWHERE!!! Both ends of the lake are standing in timber, with the North side having a MANY MILE narrow run threw THICK standing timber! Some parts of the North end you will be 3' from the bank and it is 25'deep and 10' the other way and you will be 18' deep and in standing trees thicker than some forests!! There are a few Bridges going up stream and they have log piles and submerged timber, but on the West side of the lake there is quite a bit of standing timber too!

So I am at a loss of WHERE to start looking for the flaties? We have fished a few of the bridges for Crappie and White Bass in the day time, and also had out a bottom line for cats, but never caught any! :confused2:

So if anybody can give me some info on where to start looking, or what to look for I would be debt to you greatly!!:eek:oooh:

Thanks for the help!
    Andy:wink:

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey andy in my experience a lake with heavy cover spread out over a huge area can be as tough to fish as an area with no cover. what works best for me is working around the edges. you might go for a little while with few or no fish, but once you get their pattern down you will start bringing in more fish. spots like that take a while to get figured out, but the time spent working on them are worth it! my biggest frustration with learning new spots with heavy cover is i can't really use a lot of rods, as i fish from the bank. when the flats are aggressive they usually hook themselves on the take, even with the bait clicker on, and wrap me up. so i fish the one pole, holding it the whole time. i don't trust any bank pole holder setup against a flathead. another problem i have is the vibrations and pulling of the bullhead or carp i use as bait puts me to sleep. good luck on your spot, let us know how you do!

3. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'd fish the timber that is by the old river bed, any under water creeks, ditches, channels, cuts, anything with some deeper depth around outlying areas. I'd set up over them and fish suspeneded over them tied off to a stump and place baits straight down all around (set them on the bottom then reel up a few clicks so the bait is about 8 inches off bottom). Lake sounds a lot like Santee was late/early this year when it was down - the upper lake is full of stumps, spread all out, and that's how we target them there. You may get snagged a few times but it's worth it once you find that big'un!

Let us know when you get that first one!

4. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Wherever you can catch alot of baitfish, bluegill, crappie, or carp thats where I would try first. Alot of times in my experience where I catch my bait for the flatties is where I'll fish at night. They will be close by for their night-time meal.
    Good luck to you

5. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    THANKS for all it info Guys!!! We will be searching out the different areas to see of we can find some areas that might hold them better than another, and Ya'lls info will help! I will try to get a few pics of the Areas I am talking about so Ya'll can see what I am talking about !:big_smile:

Again THANKYOU!!!
    Andy:wink:

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    In a lake like that I would keep it simple. It sounds like it has good cover and drop offs,ledges. Now that you know that, the next thing you need to do and is prolly more important. Find out what the flatys are eating and where are these baitfish located. If you find deeper water close to cover and a food source you will find flatys there. Just like any other fish, cover and food is all they need. Now go find them.

7. slowhand

slowhand New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hello Andy, The best place I can refer you to on Waco Andy is south side of twin bridge along the west bank. Lots of flats have been caught in this area. Also try the mouth of bosque river,it comes into the lake on northwest side. If you want channels try the north marina, fish along side the walkway to the hamburger shop. Hope this helps,But if you start catching lots of fish just send me a message so I can go fishing with you lol. Andy if you want some channel cat fun try Lake:wink: Aquilla.