Lake Wister - Crawfish

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by coke1, Jun 19, 2007.

1. coke1

coke1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Anyone have much luck using crawfish on juglines. I've foung a good mud hole that is full of them. Also how do you hook them? I fish lake Wister. Does anyone else fish there?

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Crawfish work great on jugs, trotlines, bank lines etc. Dont tell anyone the location of your crawdad hot spot or you won't have it for long. I do not fish Wister. If you hook the crawdad thru the center of the flipper part of the tail missing the vein they live a long time. The other option is to hook them thru the hard snout in front of the eyes. They stay lively for a long long time. Hope this helps.

catman george

3. coke1

coke1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks for the info about the crawfish, went to Wister last night, but got rained out. Still raining today, glad i had a tank to keep my bait in.

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Crawfish are just too fragile to last on a jugline... try cut bait. My favorite bait for a jugline is the meat of the gar. It's tough and the blues love it.

I use mudbugs when fishing for smallmouth or largemouth. I hook them on a jig with the weight beneath the tail and the barb penetrating the tail from bottom to top.

Catfish will take a mudbug too, but usually crush it with the first bite, taking the head and thorax and leaving the tail in the hook.

The best way to use a crawdad is to drop it into briskly boiling salted and spiced water until it turns bright red. UMMMM Good!

5. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I do really well with crawfish when targeting channel cats. I have found out it's best to keep the jug away from perch though because they will pick it apart. I start at the bottom of the tail and worm the hook through until it gets close to the thorax and pop it out. Even dead crawfish will work. I have also caught a ton of really nice bass on crawfish. We were fishing an old creek dam presenting the crawdads on bottom and with a slip cork. We caught a mess of really nice large mouth and 3/4 of those were caught on bottom. We also caught some nice channels (5-10 pound range) and they were caught mostly on the slip cork....a role reversal for the species in my experience. When we catch a mess of crawdads and have some die on us we pop the tails off and toss them in the freezer....Crawdad tail with the armor pulled off is a really good bait in its own right. Some people eat 'em...not I.