Lake Whitney - Just wonderin'.....

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by renji2476, Jun 5, 2008.

1. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Hey Guys,
    I'm going camping this weekend at Lake Whitney and never been there before so I was just wonderin' if there was anyone who has ever fished there and if there is any advise you could give a guy to help him catch some fish?:0a36: Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks Guys ya'll are the best!!!

2. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Good luck with all that. I spent a week down there over spring break and got skunked from the bank. The guy I was fishing with, a fellow camper and a local guy who fished there a lot, got one buffalo that week.... He did say there was a fish kill down there several years ago and the lake has not recovered... If you have a boat, you should do better.

Anyway, be prepared for slim pickins' and I don't mean the actor! :0a1:

3. kheath

kheath New Member

State:
    Lake Whitney Texas
    If your staying at the state park you can fish the boat ramp and to the south of it. That is frazier creek. You can walk a pretty good ways down into the creek. Talk to the lady at the desk and she can show you a short cut to get into the back of the creek. On the north east side of the park you could fish the flats or white head point. All are pretty good spots depending on the time of year. I would probably fish frazier creek. Ive caught good fish out of there and i've heard that the shad are hanging out in shallow water. I would bring your cast net and try to get some fresh shad. You might even catch a striper or two.

Another good spot is Plowman Creek Park on the west side of the lake. I've heard from a couple of people that the channels have been ripping it up over there in the trees. You might want to bring some chum and bait out a hole. I dont think the shad would fair as well over there. Maybe a dip bait or chicken liver. Heck you might even try worms.

4. kheath

kheath New Member

State:
    Lake Whitney Texas
    I'm sorry Frazier creek goes to the NORTH of the boat ramp

5. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Thanks for the advise!!:big_smile: Next time I go I'm thinking that I might want to stay at the state park instead of Lofers Bend.... Just have to find.... my map.... there it is!!!:crazy: I did catch some small stripers this past week end and definitely want to go again. Maybe when I do I'll give you a heads up and we can get our families together for a good ol' fishin' session, sound good to you?

6. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Yeah, just found that out myself, turns out that it was some sort of algae that killed a lot of fish, but I did pretty well for being my first time out there. I caught about a 5# channel and a couple of gaspers oh and 1 gar that was around 4 1/2 to 5 foot long.... talk about a fight and being freaked out in the dark hearing all that thrashing in the water (I don't use laterns or lights except for when I'm baiting my hook or re-tying a line.)