Lake Wateree

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by maddkatz22, May 9, 2007.

1. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am interested in fishing Wateree, but i don't know anything about that lake, Where would be the best place to put in, coming from Florence? Where is a good place to catch some quailty blues, any ifno and directions would be greatly appreidated?

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    if i were new to the lake i would come up 77 north to you come to 200,exit there and take a right and go down a couple of miles to you get to mitford mall take a right and go to stop sign,go straight across,go down that rd,it will come up on a curve and bear to the right,go on down that road and that will lead you down the side of the lake,wateree creek landing would be your best bet right now,put in there and go to the right of the landing an go to the mouth of the creek and go left and follow on up into the river run,it will carry you all the way to cedar creek dam,a good starting spot would be near the rocks on the right as you enter the river run or go on up to the powerline area,the whole stretch is pretty good,just find you a spot ya like,either deep holes w/ nearby flats or humps,use cut shad or cut perch,crappie fillets also work good too,this ought to get ya started,good luck

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    thanks for the advice I am going down there for a family reunion in the end of may. it will be my first time at the lake.
    Stephen

4. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    :confused2: Which is better Clear water cove or Beaver Creek? As for as access and fising...?Any help would great....

5. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    beaver creek is closer to the river run,clearwater is down close to the dam,beaver is about 1/2 way in the lake,I personally would put in at wateree creek landing,its on the opposite side of lake,but closer to the good fishing and bait is usually around that bridge pretty good,but beaver is good if you wanna use that side of the lake

6. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Coming from Florence it's MUCH closer to take the exit for 521 N off of I-20 (I think this is the first Camden exit). Highway 521 N will split when you are leaving Camden, then take highway 97 (left at the split). You will pass several signs for landings but if you keep going you will get to a sign that says Cedar Creek (I would guess about 20 miles, you will be in Lancaster County). Go left here and follow the signs and you can put in behind the dam at the head of Lake Wateree. Stop in Camden for bait as there is no bait at Cedar Creek (also ask how far it is up 97). Perhaps another brother can tell you where to stop for bait?

7. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    be careful if you use the landing behind the dam,it is ok for launching a boat,but the road to get to it leaves a whole bunch to be desired,it is very curvy and has a real steep hill on it and it is not paved,it also has a terrible crown to it and is very easy to slide off in the ditch,especially if it is wet,and if another car is coming the other direction it is tough because of the crown and the narrow road,i have seen many a car slide off in the ditch,it is manageable,just dont go to fast and then it the brakes hard on the way down and get you a running start on the way out if you have a heavy boat,also alot of camping and bank fishing goes on there and there is no light at all at the ramp or parking lot if you plan on fishing at night,i would use beaver creek or go to other side and use wateree creek landing,just my opinion and ya know what they say about them,everyone has one.:big_smile:

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hopefully you will be able to make it down for the Carolina Catmen tournament on August the 11th on wateree. :big_smile:

9. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Maddkatz,

I live in Florence also. I have been putting in at Beaver Creek lately because Clear water cove gets so crowded with bass tournaments. When you come out of Beaver Creek if you head straight you will hit a good spot in the channel where we have caught some decent Blues. Our biggest came from the upper end of the lake in the river run(42lbs). I have also caught some in the mid 20's up near Singletons. I haven't fished in a couple of weeks, but we are planning on trying the beaver creek area this weekend for stripers and cats I will post results.